Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Other dogs behaviour after dog died

Discussion in 'Rainbow Bridge' started by Lizzog, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Lizzog

Lizzog PetForums Newbie

We lost our 12yo rescue male border cross in September. Our other dog, a 7yo terrier cross we've had since a puppy, always got on well with him until the last few months when she distanced herself from him, and occasionally would snap at him asserting herself.
    Since he died, she's become more confident, friendly with people (she was always very shy around people), as a positive, but as a negative is spending a lot of time scavenging and seems a little more unfriendly around other dogs. She's always had her favourite dogs, and is friendly with them, and this is still the same, but she seems snappy and grumpy with younger, bouncy dogs.
    We had thought about getting another dog, but now I have reservations.
    Any thoughts whether this could possibly be a grief reaction, or do you think she's actually enjoying being an only dog?!!

2. Westcoast20

Westcoast20 PetForums Newbie

I lost my beautiful baby 4 weeks ago, her sister who I rescued 11 years ago has been down since her passing and I do think she misses her, but I have noticed a change in her cheekiness she seems to be more confident in her mannerisms, my baby was very much the boss dog so I think she's starting to be herself a bit more.
    It is possible that your dog likes to be the only dog a friend of mine had one of her dogs put to sleep last year and was worried that her other dog would miss him but she said she didn't seem to miss him at all and became a diva all of a sudden.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice