Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Osteosarcoma - spread 4 year old

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by SophiaKoda, Oct 23, 2019.

1. SophiaKoda

SophiaKoda PetForums Newbie

Hi,
    Just wanting some advice on what to expect...
    Koda is a 4 year old German shepherd, we found a lump on his leg about a month ago. Took him to our usual vet and they didn’t seem to care, shrugged it off as a swelling and gave us anti inflammatory. 2 weeks later we went back and they said it’s probably a tumour and our only option was amputation which we thought was crazy since it was ‘only a swelling’. Anyway, we thought this was crazy and decided to go to another vet for a second opinion (which was the best thing we could have done). Confirmed osteosarcoma in his back leg and booked amputation to give him the best chance. Appointment for amputation was today and they did a xray of his lungs beforehand....9-10 tumours in his lungs!!! :( worst news ever, no amputation, sent home with us. Now I just want to know what to expect? He’s fine, he wants to play, he wants to go for walks, he wants treats, he barks at the post man...how can my 4 year old boy be this poorly and be fine? Any one have any experience and know what is to come over the next few weeks/ months???? Thanks in advance

2. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

I'm so very sorry about this diagnosis.
    Osteosarcoma is a cruel disease. Yes, he will likely be fine until he is not.
    In my humble opinion, the biggest thing is to keep them comfortable and as pain free as possible until you can't, then be ready to let them go.
    Try to enjoy the good days you have now, let him play and have fun and do what he wants to do :)

I would also ask a second opinion on the spots on his lungs, are they 100% sure those are cancerous? Some infections can look like multiple tumors on radiography.

Finally, I would most definitely contact your boy's breeder. They need to know that osteosarcoma has shown up in these lines.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice