Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Oslo the Bengal (Leash and Harness training)

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Adam92, Sep 16, 2020 at 11:30 AM.

1. Adam92

Adam92 PetForums Newbie

Hello everyone!
    Hope you're all in good spirits.

I've got two questions;

First question:

At what age is it appropriate to start taking Bengals outdoors for walks and play activities? I've tried doing some research online and there's a different answer for every website I've checked out.

Second question:

What's the best way to get a Bengal used to a leash/harness.
    I bought one of amazon and tried to get mine used to his and followed steps that I found on a YouTube tutorial but he hates it and isn't comfortable.
    I'd prefer if anyone can share the secrets to their success in how the got their bengal leash and hardness trained.

Thank you!!

Attached Files:

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Adam92 - It is up to you what age you start taking Oslo out on harness and leash, but he should be neutered [and vaccinated] before you consider it.

Bear in mind that once you start taking him outdoors you will need to continue doing so as part of his regular schedule or he will become frustrated and bored. I have always postponed letting my kittens outdoors until they were a year old, and they have been fine indoors until then. I provided lots of play and climbing opportunities indoors for them.

My youngest cats were not allowed out (in my cat proofed garden) until they were just over a year old and now there is no keeping them indoors! (I am glad I waited!) ;)

The best harnesses are the walking jackets made by Mynwood and other companies. This style is less easy for the cat to escape from. It must fit well or it will be uncomfortable or the cat will wriggle out of it and escape.. The Mynwood jackets are made to measure, so as Oslo grows you will need to replace his harness.

https://www.mynwoodcatjackets.com/

The best thing may be to put the harness on him, attach the lead and then put him in a carrier, take him outdoors to a safe, quiet area (no dogs or traffic ) and let him out while you hold tight to the leash. You may find he is more interested in his new surroundings than being bothered by the walking jacket. This method may be more productive than trying to train him to it indoors.

Note that some cats never take to the harness, one of my previous cats I tried it with years ago hated it utterly.

Adam92 likes this.
  3. Adam92

Adam92 PetForums Newbie

I've tried a few different harnesses that he absolutely hates!

I'll try the ones you've recommended.
    Whenever my girlfriend cooks she leaves the garden door (attached to kitchen open) and he absolutely loves the garden we've got him some towers and toys tried making it as cat proof as possible. Just exploring the ideas of taking him for walks now.

4. Adam92

Adam92 PetForums Newbie

Also I've seen so many pages and videos that say you should leave the leash and harness on before you take him outside. Basically keep him on it and get him used to it for a week minimum.

Any truth in this?

5. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

One method of harness training does not suit all cats. Cats are all different so there is no hard and fast rule. What works for one cat may not work for another.

You had mentioned Oslo hated the harness when put on indoors which is why I suggested putting it on indoors and taking him straight outdoors so he has no time to fret about being in the harness.

if he is already using the garden and enjoying it I am puzzled why he needs harness training? Especially if he hates it! He will be content with the garden for a long time to come. You just need to cat proof it fully.

Have you seen the pinned thread on cat proofing and cat runs?

https://www.petforums.co.uk/threads/cat-runs-cat-proofed-gardens.211361/

#5 chillminx, Sep 16, 2020 at 2:24 PM
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2020 at 5:48 PM
    Adam92 likes this.
  6. Adam92

Adam92 PetForums Newbie

I will most definitely have a look at that pinned thread. Thank you so much @chillminx

chillminx likes this.
  7. Adam92

Adam92 PetForums Newbie

do you know anyone that can make me a cat run? with toys/towers etc. or customize one for me?

8. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Probably a local carpenter would be happy to do the work if you can draw a sketch for him and give him the dimensions you want. Best places to ask for recommendations for a good carpenter would be on your local social media groups e.g. Facebook or "Nextdoor"

Best materials to use are whitewood (Deal) and birdcage wire.

The carpenter could include shelving for Oslo to climb (which Bengals love to do) and there are ready made outdoor cat trees that would be suitable for resting spots e.g.

http://kittyklimbers.co.uk/

p.s. make sure the cat run has a solid roof to protect him from hot sun and the rain. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice