Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Oslo Littering Outside.

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Adam92, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Adam92

Adam92 PetForums Junior

Hello guys,

I've got a 6month old Bengal Kitten (Oslo)

When I first got him at 12weeks he was very good at going to the litter tray by himself without having any accidents whatsoever.

For the past month or so since we've let him explore and roam our garden and set up his little play area outside he's stopped going to his usual litter tray which is in his bedroom (litter type hasn't changed) and his been spoiling me and my girlfriends plants and doing his business in the compost and mud.

Is this him acting out or is it something else? Any and all help welcome!!!

Adam.

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I’d put dirt similar to that outside in his trays - maybe he just prefers it.

3. Adam92

Adam92 PetForums Junior

I tried this although he ended up doing a poo in the dirt he was Meowing all the time. I could tell its a Meow of frustration due to lack of space as the garden dirt area is massive.

4. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

So give him bigger litter boxes? :) I'll ask a mod to move this to the correct forum.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  5. Jacqueline bray

Jacqueline bray PetForums Junior

hi l have two cats both do there business outside on the summer months than come and use the litter trays when it starts getting cooler

6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

#6 chillminx, Sep 16, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    Lurcherlad likes this.
  7. Willow_Warren

Willow_Warren PetForums VIP

Given the choice my prefer to go alfresco! Current favourite spot is the potato bed (well I’ve harvested the potatoes and dig it over nicely... just perfect for then)

Plants seem fairly safe once they are established, new plants i tend to put wire cage around to protect

hx

chillminx likes this.
  8. Chaddycat

Chaddycat PetForums Senior

So its a myth that cats don't poop on there own land!? Chadwick poops in the garden if I don't open the door quick enough for him to come in x

9. Willow_Warren

My cats certainly use my garden!

Adam92 likes this.
  10. Adam92

Adam92 PetForums Junior

So I take it that it isn't something to worry about?

Do you have a litter box in ur garden?

11. Willow_Warren

cats using the garden is nothing to worry about (unless perhaps if you have young children digging about). No litter trays they just use the Earth/flower beds as nature intended.

chillminx likes this.
  12. Adam92

Adam92 PetForums Junior

And how do you go about cleaning it? Mine is very agressive when looking for a spot and ends up damaging stuff

13. Willow_Warren

I have to confess I don’t clean it... I let the earth do it’s job!

mine do choose a clear area, although Lola digs a big hole!

14. Tawny75

Tawny75 PetForums VIP

Me either, Sev and Lily use the garden during the summer and the trays in the winter/wet. I think they like a dry bottom...lol

15. Willow_Warren

I have chickens As well so I guess I adapt my planting to things that are robust... grow in pots... shield with physical barrier when establishing...Etc

I like my garden but I love my pets

Adam92 likes this.
  16. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Never heard that one before! :D Cats will poop on their own territory to make sure all the other cats in the world know it's theirs. They will also poop in the neighbors' gardens to mark, and of course to avoid predators.

I would recommend that people encourage their cats to use litter boxes in the house. Often the first sign of illness shows up as a litter box change. If you don't know their habits and don't see their stool and pee on a regular basis, you won't know until much later that a cat might be ill, by the time a cat starts to show illness he's usually been sick for much longer than you realize. A change in toilet habits is a crucial first clue.

17. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Cats are usually most attracted to freshly dug soil in the garden. If you keep one or two areas dug over all the time, with no plants in them, there will be no reason for him to be digging around your plants and causing damage. My cats never cause damage to the plants.

While you are digging over the soil every few days you will come across the buried poos. Some may be on the surface of the soil anyway so easy to see.

If you have a large garden and neither of you are keen gardeners then you can leave the poos in the soil, just dig them in well.

My garden is not large (it's medium sized) and I am a very keen gardener so the last thing I want is to step on cat poo on the soil, or come across it when I'm planting out seedlings.

It is easy to dispose of cat poo. I keep a supply of poo bags with my gardening tools and when I come across a cat poo in (or on) the soil I bag it well and throw it in the household waste wheelie bin.

Adam92 and lorilu like this.
  18. Chaddycat

Chaddycat PetForums Senior

I found it out the hard way! Luckily he prefers his litter tray, the only time he does it in the garden is if the door has closed. Otherwise he comes in to pee and poop x

lorilu likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice