UK Pet Forums Forum banner
721 - 740 of 4,923 Posts
Discussion starter · #721 ·
That's a tidy room. I wish I could be that tidy...
I am a bit odd and like to have everything just "so". Some would say I have OCD, I just think I'm tidy and there's a place for everything. I'm actually much more relaxed about the house since Oscar came, for example, in the lounge there are now scratching things, blankets on seats and mice on the new (bought especially for Oscar) rug. Sometimes the cushions aren't even in their proper place now :Hilarious :Hilarious :Hilarious

I am a bit odd and like to have everything just "so". Some would say I have OCD, I just think I'm tidy and there's a place for everything. I'm actually much more relaxed about the house since Oscar came, for example, in the lounge there are now scratching things, blankets on seats and mice on the new (bought especially for Oscar) rug. Sometimes the cushions aren't even in their proper place now :Hilarious :Hilarious :Hilarious
I moved in here in July and still haven't unpacked stuff. Don't get me wrong, I do like it when it's tidy, but I'm really not good at it.

My bedroom is tidy, and the bathroom and the ensuite, but everywhere else looks a little like a bomb has hit it. I try to tidy one room and it seems to mess up another!

Discussion starter · #724 ·
Heh. Untidy Gene indeed ;) Friends who have messy teenagers often threaten them with coming to live with me for a month, to get them into shape. I'm tidy ever since my mother told me to tidy my room once and what wasn't tidied was going in the bin. I didn't and she did. All of it. So I've been tidy since then.

Phew! Oscar has pooped in the garden...we watched and then pounced to remove it (quite large but nicely firm, not really hard, even though it had been in there a while). Then he went to his wee area and was about to wee but got scared by a leaf :/ Now he's enjoying his re-catnip-filled platypus that's really a beaver but we still call it a platypus.

I think I'm a bit loopy. Ah well :)

Discussion starter · #725 ·
Oh and now the cat flap is locked for the night, he is up at it testing it with his paw...won't go out of it in the mornings though, oh no sirrreeee bob. Honestly, I think he'll be the end of me!

Discussion starter · #726 ·
This morning we have discovered that Oscar really doesn't like rain! He's funny, he's turned his nose up at going outside when it's been tipping down (twice yesterday he did hat) but this morning he wanted to go out, it was drizzling...he walked outside, went straight under the hosepipe unit that's fixed to the wall - looked around and saw me still there, chirruped and came back in. He's definitely NOT into being wet!

He's been doing very well. We have visitors and they have two children with them (blended family situation, the 14 year old has grown up with a cat and has been very good, the 8 year old is very very loud and Oscar has been such a good boy around her) and both adults have had cats before - he's used to me and human daddy who are really pretty quiet so he's done very well. He's slept downstairs on human daddy's sofa though, must be the comfort of the smell of him.

I think he's looking forward to everyone going home and then he can just chill out. Even though we've all been talking/playing board games he's still been sitting in the lounge with us, apart from about an hour on Friday night when everyone arrived and it must have all been too much! He's also let everyone stroke him and that is a huge difference in him. I'm so proud of how he's been with the children - and they both fed him his hairball treats yesterday and the oldest said he was even more gentle taking them from her hand than their cat is (who's a BSH).

We watched the boxing last night and Oscar was properly mesmerised - maybe he was a pugilist in a former life, haha. Oh and we were just watching a Jackson Galaxy thing on the telly - and there was a very very feisty cat on there. WHOOMPF! Oscar's tail went bushy, he really didn't like that cat! So we never found out what happened ;) Now watching Gardener's World which is much more gentle for him. They are planting daffodils though and I'm a bit sad as I think gaffs are poisonous to cats, so none of them in my garden anymore, I'll have to dig them out once they start popping up in the garden won't I? We now have a Kitty Yoga session in front of the fire, I love watching him, as his little "arm" flops over the side of him when he from his chicken leg :)

Hope you are all having a nice weekend, despite the rain.

Well done Oscar, its good that he is comfortable with visitors. Does he chew plants in the garden? We've got quite a few daffodils and Bunty and Toppy take no notice of them. If you get the Tete-A-Tete ones, they are very small but beautiful so not so much greenery as their taller relatives or you could have some in pots if you can put them somewhere away from Oscar.

I opened the door this morning as Toppy was meowing to go out, its pouring with rain. They sat on the mat, looked, then turned round and walked away, not going out there!. They don't like being indoors all the time, in fact, yesterday, when it was pouring, Bunty stayed out all day, she's got a hidey hole somewhere in a neighbour's garden.

This morning we have discovered that Oscar really doesn't like rain! He's funny, he's turned his nose up at going outside when it's been tipping down (twice yesterday he did hat) but this morning he wanted to go out, it was drizzling...he walked outside, went straight under the hosepipe unit that's fixed to the wall - looked around and saw me still there, chirruped and came back in. He's definitely NOT into being wet!
I soooooo wish Ralph didn't like the rain. I sometimes think he deliberately wants to go out and get wet just to rub it against me when he gets back in :mad:

Bertie is definitely a "fair weather" cat =
sun shining = Bertie's out all day
raining/windy = Bertie curled up asleep on my bed with the look that says "if you think I'm going out in THAT you can think again !".
:D:D:D

Loving all your updates Mrs F!!!

Two thoughts -

Could you put a covered litter tray outside for him? Perhaps fill it with soil from where he normally goes to the loo? (Not sure if Oscar would use a covered tray but if not what about Mr F making a makeshift shelter/kennel that a tray could go in?)

If it’s just the one sofa he scratches - even better one side - a post placed where he goes for just got a while should do the trick. When he goes for the sofa move his paws to the post. Once he starts using the post you can move it away. Takes a bit of doing but can work. We always have to do this with new kittens and sofas.

Discussion starter · #732 · (Edited)
I'm not sure that he would go for a covered tray, as he's quite tall - and from the trays I've seen, they don't look high enough to me? Even the larger open trays I bought I sometimes think are a bit little. I really am wondering if he was a bit bunged up and so didn't want to use his trays for poop - now we have the little softer bit at the end of the second poop this afternoon, I wonder if he might go back to them. He has a definite favourite wee place - the poop place varies. If he doesn't start to use his indoor trays again though, I will look into something for outside, thank you @huckybuck . The binos definitely help in the search for poop! I don't want to leave it in the ground and I want to see what it's like, so we have to go hunting.

The sofa is funny, he hasn't even looked at it at all for the past few days. We do always take him to his post as soon as he goes for it. He's started the past couple of days to "go for it" on the new rug. Whether it's because we've had visitors I don't know - but today he did it and we picked him up and put his paws straight on a flat scratching thing. I was even brave enough to move him myself. I have very delicate skin, so am pretty wary of being bitten or scratched as I would need ABs (I've had cellulitis way too many times to take any risk, I always have terrible skin reactions).

@Charity Oscar does go for a little nibble of things, yes. It is mostly just normal grass - but he did go for some ornamental grasses which made for some interesting vom, so I removed them and planted them in the front! I think the daffs will have to go, sadly. I can't remember where they all are though so I will have to wait for them to pop up - and he dug out a tonne of bluebell bulbs today burying his poop. I probably won't bother re-planting them as he'll go for them again when he's burying poop, no doubt about that.

Discussion starter · #734 ·
Poop back on track, I hope *phew* Done in the tray upstairs, whilst husband was in there so he saw Oscar wasn't straining or anything, which is excellent (and only 31 hours between poops! Amazing!). I am staying off the Bioglan for now, see how it goes.

This morning's new discovery is that Oscar really REALLY doesn't like little spiders. There was a little one walking along at the level of the conservatory windows, so he couldn't get to it. His tail was all bushy, he was doing a weird breathing out thing (not the hunting hiss, nor meep, just a sort of "huff" exhalation of breath), only stopped when I moved said spider.

Every day, something new. Thank you all for putting up with my random ramblings, I am fully aware I am totally annoying. I'd like to say it will improve but I'm not sure it will ;)

Discussion starter · #736 ·
:) Bless you for being kind to me @SbanR - husband says he thinks I am much better. I think I am too. I've come a long way since he said back in the Spring about Oscar having to go back to the shelter as it was all stressing me out too much. We were laughing about it the other day and how my response was, "I'm going to take YOU to the shelter". Dear me.

Don't ever stop with the daily Oscar updates Mrs F, it's one of the things I e joy must coming on PF now :) thank heavens hubby didn't send him back to the shelter :eek::D

:) Bless you for being kind to me @SbanR - husband says he thinks I am much better. I think I am too. I've come a long way since he said back in the Spring about Oscar having to go back to the shelter as it was all stressing me out too much. We were laughing about it the other day and how my response was, "I'm going to take YOU to the shelter". Dear me.
Excellent response! One I wholeheartedly agree with.

Discussion starter · #740 ·
Well, someone decided that he was going to sleep the whole night on the bed with us (well, technically with human daddy as he was on that side!) last night. First time in months and months :) Apparently human daddy didn't sleep well because of it ;) Then this morning Oscar sent me out shopping for our Secret Santa, I think I might as well hire a van at this rate, haha!

In other news, Oscar's new mice arrived today that @QOTN has made for him. He is in love with the sheepy mouse!

Cat Textile Grey Felidae Comfort

721 - 740 of 4,923 Posts