UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

4421 - 4440 of 4478 Posts

·
Endangered Species
25,956 Posts
We are back from the vet. Someone was most unhappy about no breakfast.

Signed the usual "here take nearly my monthly salary in one day" document and dropped him off.

In terms of results, his heart is pretty stable. Annette even thinks there's a slight improvement in the function and improvement in aortic diameter. The HCM is slightly worse (thickening 6.9mm, normal up to 6mm) but overall she's pleased with his echo.

Abdominal scan was good - liver and gall bladder normal. Pancreas showed pancreatic nodule hyperplasia but we are not to be worried about this apparently.

Bloods were a bit wonky - his thyroid function is changing. It doesn't surprise me as he's eating well but gaining weight back so slowly. The T4 is 39 and it's always previously been in the low 20s, so there's definite changes there - we will redo the bloods in a couple of months. Also looked like he's anaemia but his bloods were done after he had had the sedation and Annette says that they often come out abnormally following that.

We just need to figure out how to get the rivarixoban now. Thinking we are going to have to go to a human pharmacy. Dread to think of the cost!!

Annette is going to write up about his clopidogrel reaction and send it in as a letter to one of the veterinary journals , as she feels it may help someone. She said I've done half the work for her with the photos I've sent :) She's delighted about his hair growth too.

We've taken his leg bandage off, he's eaten some Whiskas and gone to bed. Don't blame him quite frankly!

I was so worried he wasn't going to come through the sedation. I even made Becky (our favourite reception lady) promise that if it was all going wrong and we couldn't get there in time, that she would be with him. She promised me she would. I know.

I feel worn out with it all! Phew! So glad it's done :)
What a worrying day you've had @Mrs Funkin. Glad most of the tests came out well and Annette was pleased with him. My OH is on rivaroxaban, I think it is pretty expensive stuff. Oscar doesn't sound too phased after his ordeal. At least you can sleep better yourself tonight. Big hug for the clever boy xx

·
Human mother to Oscar
12,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,426 ·
Sadly the sedation seems to have done for his appetite, he's not really eaten anything since coming home :(

I'll have to see how he is in the morning. Poor little man.

·
Human mother to Oscar
12,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,427 ·
I’m a bit daft, I forgot he had his Tricat vaccinations too as he couldn’t have it when he was due them in February due to his skin infection and treatment for that. I actually can’t remember what he was like three years ago when he had it, so that may well affect him. He’s eaten a little this morning. I might give him something random from the cupboards just to see if he fancies something else.

Thyroid meds could be interesting with his already dodgy liver and heart though. Hmmm. More research required!

·
Registered
9,516 Posts
Well done Oscar. Just a couple of niggles but apart from that I reckon 5 stars are in order*****:Happy.
No wonder you're so worn out Mrs F. I'm really hoping the rivar do dah stuff isn't too expensive. It would be great if you could get a generic version. If only!!!

·
Human mother to Oscar
12,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,429 ·
Well he's eaten some more (including a whole tin of Gourmet salmon and chicken..."Oh! Why have you never given me this? It's delicious! Oh, you HAVE given me this before, I ate it for two days then left you with a stash in the cupboard...I seeeeeee") and now having a sleep on our bed. I'm glad he's sleeping there as he definitely was wary of us yesterday and this morning. Can't say I blame him really. He's got a LOT of grooming to do too. I can't imagine all the bit of left behind ultrasound gel is much fun to have to clean off yourself.

·
Human mother to Oscar
12,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,432 ·
Cor blimey, what a fuffle to sort out Oscar's private prescription for his new medication. The lady in Boots was very helpful on Monday. Today's Pharmacist was spectacularly rude - to the point that the pharmacy assistant apologised. When I went back, there was a sign up about not tolerating rude behaviour and he looked at me - I very loudly and pointedly said, "I won't tolerate being spoken to in such a manner by a member of staff, could you confirm that his name is XXX". URGH! I just didn't need the grief of it nor his attitude. When I was trying to ask him something he said there was a queue and so he couldn't deal with my queries!! I said I was aware there was a queue as I had just stood waiting patiently in it. Flipping heck. I'm still undecided as to whether I'm going to complain about him or not - or just let it go into the Big Wide World and rise above it. I'll probably do that to be honest. It's not worth my energy, I just have to think it's all for the good of my boy.

It's £82 + £25 for the prescription fee for what would be 112 days supply, which isn't bad I don't think and the lovely claims lady at the Vet will submit it all for me, so we will get 80% of that back - that goodness for PetPlan. He will only have 1.25mg of rivaroxaban each day and I hope that we don't have a terrible reaction to it. It seems to have been well responded to by cats in America, where it's more commonly used.

Fingers crossed :)

·
Registered
9,516 Posts
Well I'm glad it was only a fuffle and not a kerfuffle!;) What a thoroughly rude man. Good for you giving a tongue lashing. As for complaining?! If you're still undecided I'll offer my opinion and start singing 'THAT' song from Frozen:D. You can do without the hassle.
Fippin' eck, was it what you were expecting to pay? As you say, thank goodness for pet insurance.
Fingers crossed the cats over here are as tolerant as our U.S. cousins are to it.

Hello Oscar Woo, did anyone ever tell you how handsome you are? xx Moo xx

·
Human mother to Oscar
12,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,435 ·
Yes @Cully I thought it would be a reasonable price - it's about £1 a day. I'll pay that to prevent a saddle thrombosis :)

I am indeed rising above the whole Pharmacist issue. Idiot.

I hope more than anything @Bertie'sMum that he catches a break! Poor little man.

·
Registered
9,516 Posts
I think saddle thrombosis is something we all dread so I'm glad you've found something to help prevent it. When you break the cost down to £1 a day, it doesn't sound so bad does it?
Happy healthy vibes to you all. xx

·
Human mother to Oscar
12,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,438 ·
Blimey! I’m visiting my mother and Nan and Human Daddy has managed to give Oscar his steroid last night and ALL FOUR of his tablets this morning!

He said it’s easier with two people and Oscar was a bit of a pickle but he managed it :)

Takes the pressure off me getting home as fast as I can now. Which is good as it’s 240 miles.

·
Registered
9,516 Posts
Well that's reassuring for you knowing Oscar Woo, who is in caring capable hands, is being cooperative too. He must recognise it's all good for him.
I hope that gives you confidence to relax a little and try and enjoy(is that the right word?) your visit. Although understandably, you'll be looking forward to getting home to your boys again.:)

Reactions: Mrs Funkin
4421 - 4440 of 4478 Posts