UK Pet Forums Forum banner

Oscar's disgusting new habit!

553 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  swaff 
#1 ·
Over the last week he (6 month old Parsons Russell) has started eating poo, we have just returned from Scoltand and he has feasted on sheep poo. It is horrid.

Is this a phase, do they grow out of it and more importantly why is he doing it.

We are feeding him on burns dry food with stuff mixed in it like meat and veg.

Any help would be appreciated.

#2 ·
I think it is because sheep poo smells oh so lovely to dogs! Yuk!

Mine have never eaten their own poo, or another dogs. But sheep, horse and cow they cannot resist if it is fresh!

I just use a stern ''Leave'' and if they ignore a wee tug on the lead.
Dave will still sniff at it but I only need to get as far as halfway through saying ''Leave'' before he moves on now.

x

#3 ·
Ha ha yep its a dog thing mines never gone for his own or other dogs but hes partual to horse manure if im not quick enough with a loud NO command . If i can get him not to eat it they try and roll in it. Mind id rather it was horses or sheep than foxes pooh coz that really pongs.

#4 ·
If its his own poo then giving him pineapple in his food is supposed to help I've never tried so I couldn't say for definite if it does. If its other dogs poo other than teaching him leave I don't know what else you can do.

#7 ·
Yuk! bless him... Just hope he doesnt want to kiss you! :001_tt2:

#8 ·
Indy likes bird poop - swan/duck/geese she's not fussy.

I brought this up with our trainer at the time, and she said let her, it's got lots of good nutrients in it.

Whether that's true or not god knows!! She's was a pretty crappy trainer...

#9 ·
pineapple does work if it's their own poo they are eating.

ours loves rabbit poo, watching him in the park some mornings it's like watching a cow graze :)

someone told us that they eat it for the nutrients as well but I'm not convinced on that, I think they just like anything that smells yuk!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.