Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Oscar chews his nails

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Sophiex, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Sophiex

Sophiex PetForums VIP

Oscar chews his nails. He recently got groomed and would not let them trim his nails for love nor money. The groomer said she didn't want to distress him further and make him see grooming as a negative experience and I agreed with her. I used to do it myself but once, I cut too far and it bled like mad. I've traumatised him because since then, he's fought like mad when anyone's tried. :( Oscar gets plenty of pavement walking but they're bothering him and I don't know what to do.

2. scosha37

scosha37 PetForums VIP

My Male Chi does the same he chews them down..he dosent like anyone to touch them to he lets me but i am so scard of cutting him the same as you did ...its scary isnt it when they bleed and cant stop them..:)

3. Sophiex

Sophiex PetForums VIP

Do you not cut them at all? Oscar's are curling under, I really need to do something but cannot get near them! Even if I muzzle him, I can't.

4. scosha37

scosha37 PetForums VIP

Yeah a snip the tips of them if they get long..

i use a towel with the rabbits and cover there face it kinda makes them calm..i dont know if this would work on dogs..

Shame ..:( esp if thye need done..

5. rona

rona Guest

The vet will do this for you for a price :(
    But I'm sure he doesn't like the vet anyway so not so much of a problem.
    Our Chessie never needs his nails done, he spends quite a bit of time manicuring himself :D

6. Cavalierlover123

Cavalierlover123 PetForums VIP

Cassie is the same,if i try to cut her nails she tries to jump out of may hands, i had to hold her down one day because the nail on the side of her paw was getting really long and i didnt want it to grow into her skin. i didnt like doing this but it had to be done.:(
    The first time i cut her nails, i cut a bit far too because she jumped really quickly.. it only bleed for a minute.
    She doesnt mind me touching her feet its just when i get the nailer trimmer out she wont sit still.
    Im looking for a cure too..?:(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice