Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Orphaned kits advise needed

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Pinksapphire, Sep 1, 2019.

1. Pinksapphire

Pinksapphire PetForums Newbie

I adopted a female rabbit five weeks ago and unexpectedly three weeks ago she gave birth to five kits.
    This evening i went out to put them to bed and found the doe dead, she seemed in ok health apart from some sores around her nose that I thought were starting to heal.
    I now have five three week old kits without a mother and am not sure what i should be feeding them and how is best to care for them.
    Should I be bottle feeding them? if so what milk is best? how often and how much.
    Are adult food pellets ok? they had been eating some of there mothers food but should I know change this?
    They are getting meadow hay should I get better hay for them?
    Any advise greatly appreciated.

2. bunnygeek

bunnygeek PetForums Senior

Sorry you lost your doe :( birth can be hard on bunnies.

At three weeks you maybe lucky, when they're shiny newborns it's VERY difficult to hand raise. Contact your nearest rabbit savvy vet for advice and they should be able to offer advice on milk replacements. They shouldn't need it for more than a week or so though.

Hay wise, some Alfalfa hay would be good as it's higher in calcium for those growing bones. I would also recommend junior pellets BUT if they've been weaning onto mum's adult pellets, stick with those for now as sudden changes are tricky. I would look at transitioning them over to a junior pellet designed for growing babies in a few weeks time, but done VERY slowly.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice