Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Ordered a target stick

Discussion in 'Dog Tricks and Games' started by LinznMilly, Dec 26, 2017.

1. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Submissive Servant to My Lord and Lady Mutts
    Staff Member

Lately, I've fallen back in love with trick training, much to Milly's delight and benefit. So much so that I somehow came across the Trixie target stick on Amazon, and it instantly became a Got to Have purchase.

I'm wondering if anyone here uses/used one, and can give me ideas of tricks to teach her with it?

I feel (could be wrong) that I have done some groundwork in that I've taught her Touch and she can do that now with both hands - in fact, she sort of targets my hands with her nose without a cue, so I'm thinking of starting off with proofing her to the target by holding the target in my hand until she gets the idea.

After that, I'm thinking of teaching her to close doors (I wouldn't dare teach her to open them - she'll be straight into the food cupboard :Wideyed :eek: :rolleyes: ), but after that I hit a mental roadblock.

It's a telescopic one, so should be able to minimise it to take outside so I can practice tricks on walks, too.

Any ideas?

2. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Loads on You Tube - have a look at this one for ideas:

LinznMilly likes this.
  3. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

Ohh target stick training :)

You can transfer the behavior to other targets. Yellow sticky notes can be used as targets on furniture or on/off switches, or to teach the dog to retrieve specific items such as the TV remote. The red dot of a laser pointer can be a wonderful target for working your dog at a distance; a laser pointer can be useful in tracking and other scent work too.

This pdf has some good ideas as well https://www.rfemembers.com/documents/101-things-you-can-do-with-a-target-stick.pdf

Torin. and LinznMilly like this.
  4. LinznMilly

Staff Member

Ooh, thank you. Am at a (sort of ) party atm, so I'll have a look later.

StormyThai likes this.
  5. LinznMilly

Staff Member

Target stick arrived today, which is really fast, seeing as I wasn't expect in it until after the New Year :Woot . It's taking Milly a bit of getting used to, but 14y/o Max, who has dementia, is all over it and has quickly learned that interacting with it equals treat. :D But then he always did pick up on things lightening quick.

I'm ashamed to say that I hadn't even considered using it to train him - because of his dementia - but I've just had a training session, kneeling on the floor with both dogs, and if anything, he brought Milly on because she watched him getting all the treats and that just wouldn't do. :Smuggrin . In the end, she was touching it with her paw, and I was able to pick it up without her running to the safety of the hall.

6. Sproglet

Sproglet PetForums Senior

Have only ever used a target stick with one dog and he was brilliant with it. Great for going under, over or on top, through things or following.

LinznMilly likes this.
  7. LinznMilly

Staff Member

I think Milly's main problem with it is that it has an integrated clicker, and I made the mistake of us on thst straight away. With Max, this wasn't a problem, but I really had to go back to basics with Mill and leave it on the floor, using my older clicker to mark all interaction with it.

8. Sproglet

I did the clicker training first and then used an old cat fishing rod toy as the target stick (skinflint that I am lol) and clicked the second his nose went near it, then touched it.

LinznMilly likes this.
  9. LinznMilly

Staff Member

I've done plenty of clicker training in the past, although these days, I use my clicker phrase, "Good Boy/Girl" (depending on which dog I'm working with), so I didn't anticipate any priblems with the actual clicker bit, but she is/was definitely nervous of it.

I'll leave it tonight, and pick it up again tomorrow. . . They've already gone through 1 bag of treats between them today as it is. :D

Sproglet likes this.
  10. LinznMilly

Staff Member

. . . Annnnnnnnnd ... we have progress!! :Woot

20min round-the-block sort of walk (heavy snowing here today, so it's looking like a duvet day for the 3 of us), and by the end of it, Milly was touching the target if it was held against the palm of my hand.

StormyThai and Sproglet like this.
  11. Sproglet

Ace :D

LinznMilly likes this.
  12. LinznMilly

Staff Member

Over the weekend, we'vd made further progress. I've successfully stopped using my hand as the target's back-drop and now she's targeting the stick itself. :D

She does get a bit giddy with excitement when I take the target stick out of my pocket, and starts giving behaviours I haven't asked for, but she's getting to the point where she's reliably going for the end of the stick, so yesterday I upped the ante again and held the stick above her head, as you would for the "sit pretty" or "walk on hind legs" tricks.

Atm, I'm simply C&T for the action, and haven't quite decided on which one to start with.

13. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Well done.

LinznMilly likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice