Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Orchid Mantis' Poops are PINK! Help!

Discussion in 'Insects , Snails and other exotic pets' started by LapisOre, May 4, 2017.

1. LapisOre

LapisOre Invertebrate Enthusiast, Mantis Master

I have a lovely orchid mantis named Blossom that I have had since she was L2 molt stage. She is about a year old now, quite old for a female praying mantis because the females live about 1.2 to 1.3 years, but can live over 1.5 years for some species. Anyways, one day after I put her on the floor of her habitat (she has been living on a zygote cactus (aka Christmas cactus)) she pooped 6 times, 5 of which are PINK!! I am quite an expert on praying mantids so I don't think anything is wrong with her but I would like to know if anyone knows why her poops are pink. Some info on her: Species: Hymenopus Coronatus (orchid mantis). Diet: usually flies, she ate 7 flies yesterday. She is old, but I don't think she's sick. She is pregnant, but the eggs are not fertilized because she has never mated or come in contact with a male mantis. Her abdomen is giant and swollen because of the unfertilized oothecas (egg cases) and gives her problems climbing, and falls without support. I feel sad for her because she has to drag her giant abdomen of dead eggs everywhere she goes. She will likely never lay these oothecas because they aren't fertilized. Anyways, thank you for reading and I hope that I can find out why her poops are pink, but it doesn't matter that much because I don't think it's hurting her. I included a recent picture of her and her pink poos. The second picture is of the day I got her in the mail. She doesn't have sticks or flowers because she is old and would sit on the ground anyways. And yes I am a good owner and I'm doing the best I can for her. Btw I got her from bugs in cyberspace, but they rarely ever carry them and I think that blossom was the last one they had. Please wish me and Blossom luck that she lives the rest of her life happy and healthy! :D

Attached Files:

#1 LapisOre, May 4, 2017
    Last edited: May 4, 2017
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice