Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Orchid advice please?

Discussion in 'Gardening Advice' started by JoanneF, Jun 10, 2019 at 12:46 PM.

1. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

IMG_0083.JPG I'm an active member in the Dog categories but hope someone can advise me about a houseplant orchid. I am really not into house plants, this was a gift. I have struggled with it budding but the buds falling off before they flower. I water once a week, let it drain so it isn't sitting in water. It sits in a light spot but not in direct sun. No draughts. I have just come back from a 10 day break and on the end of the flowering stem, it looks like leaves are developing. Should I let them or is this the time to cut the stem back to the base?

2. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

3. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Thank you so much!

4. Dogwood1

Dogwood1 May_the_dog be_with_you.

Your orchid is a kind of phalaenopsis. They aren't the most difficult, but they aren't the easiest either. As BM said, they like a humid atmosphere. There should be a lot of specific guidelines if you google phalaenopsis care. If it wants to make new flower buds or a new flower spike from the old flower spike, let it. To be honest, any flowering outside a greenhouse is lucky. Contrary to enthusiastic marketing, they aren't really suited to the average home environment. Spraying is better than nothing, but the effect quickly passes, and the objective isn't really to have beads of moisture on the leaves and flower spikes anyway. The moisture is wanted in the surrounding air itself. I used to keep my phals going by running a (COOL SPRAY, not hot steam) humidifier in my room, but that isn't for everyone. Water can start dripping down the windows and walls. Other ways to raise the humidity include keeping various plants in proximity to each other, since they all transpire moisture into the air. Also you can place trays of pebbles filled with water near the orchid. Keep the water topped up, and as it evaporates, it does raise the humidity around the orchid somewhat.

The quickest flower killers are heater vents or cold drafts.

A generally more forgiving type of orchid, beautiful in their own way, are the paphiopedilums.

#4 Dogwood1, Jun 10, 2019 at 1:26 PM
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2019 at 2:32 PM
  5. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

I do very well with my orchids but as Dogwood says a good level of humidity is important. In my case I have an open topped fish tank in the room, the orchids are kept in an area close to all my other house plants and the room is south facing so gets warmth and indirect sunshine regularly. As a result mine flower several times a year.

To improve humidity keep them together with a group of other house plants. It helps to have some shallow trays with water and gravel sitting nearby to raise the humidity locally. The room needs to be warm but not dry. I water mine much more infrequently. Perhaps every two weeks and then its a quick water and throroughly drained as they rot is left sitting in any water.

I also don't cut off the flower stems until tjey have died and dried. For two reasons, firstly the stems can have a second flush of flowers and secondly cutting the live tissue can sometimes cause rot to start which kills the plant.

They also prefer non hard water for watering.

Dogwood1 likes this.
  6. Dogwood1

^ Apologies Kittih, it looks like I we were typing at the same time. Way to go with the fish tank!

kittih likes this.
  7. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

@Dogwood1 and @kittih thank you both for the replies. I have managed to keep it alive for almost a year but I do think the new bud looks very different from the previous ones - perhaps I will have more success with this one!

8. Dogwood1

kittih and JoanneF like this.
  9. TriTri

TriTri Standing up for cats

Hi @JoanneF you could add orchid feed to the water also.

JoanneF likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice