Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Optician recommendations

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by HarlequinCat, Mar 27, 2017.

1. HarlequinCat

HarlequinCat PetForums VIP

Both me and my partner need our eyes tested. He has a very slight lazy eye which you can only really notice when he's tired, but before it gets worse we thought it'd be good to get it looked at.

So, since neither of us has been to an optician since we were kids we don't have a clue where to go. I see that places like Asda, tesco and boots do it. But I don't really trust they will take the time to do a proper examination

2. Vanessa131

Vanessa131 PetForums VIP

An optician is an optician, it doesn't matter where you go.

3. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

We use Tescos and they have a lot of modern equipment for eye testing. The girl that tested my eyes seemed very competant and took her time especially when she closely examined the eyes towards the end of the test. She spotted the very small cataract which I've known about for about the last six years, it's very tiny and I think could be missed by someone not doing their job properly. They often have free eye tests available as a special offer, although we get free eye tests now due to being ancient and I've had them free prior to being ancient due to my mum having glaucoma.

HarlequinCat likes this.
  4. stuaz

stuaz PetForums VIP

It's worth noting that an optometrist (not optician, that's different..) is a trained medical person so eye test wise they should be the same where ever you go as they are somewhat independent. Bit like going to a doctors or hospital.

The actual glasses and associated prices is different though fitted by an optician can vary...

You can get your eyes tested and if new glasses are required you can simply go elsewhere as long as you have your prescription, even buy them online so it's worth shopping around and don't feel obligated to buy from the people who do your test!

5. steveshanks

steveshanks PetForums VIP

Can't fault Tescos for me, they spotted my first cataract very early on, also very helpful in setting me up with a pair of cheap £15 glasses for the few months between operations. Siskins are Tescos not free for the tests for everyone, they used to be but its been a couple of years (i'm due this summer).
    Oh and when my eyes were bad they did me variofocals then took them back (no argument) when i didn't like them.

HarlequinCat likes this.
  6. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

I have used Vision Express, don't Spec Savers and messed up my glasses wouldn't use them again, OH has just had new glasses from boots he's very happy with them, may give them a try next time.

HarlequinCat likes this.
  7. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

I'm not sure if the free eye tests are all the time or just for a certain period. Every now and again I hear over the tannoy that they are doing free eye tests as if it was an special deal or something, otherwise like you I don't take much notice until I'm due a test.

I'm eyeing up their bogof offer on the single lenses where you can choose the frame and the arms separately, I was going to ask if they could do them in varifocals for a bit of extra money.

8. steveshanks

I think they are always free, (looked it up) they must just remind us now and then LOL .....I haven't worn glasses (except a rare wear of some reading glasses for tiny stuff) since i had my op, but i do remember always getting a free pair if i bought the good glasses, so used to get reading and distance for the price of one and then get computer glasses from the budget range (no one sees those LOL)........I do NOT miss needing 3 pair of glasses LOL

I so wanted to like Varifocals but hated the blurred sides and having to have my head at the right angle to focus, turns out my head moves a lot LOL

HarlequinCat likes this.
  9. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

I have used spec savers most of my life and they have been OK. However I have recently been to an long established independent and have been very pleased and impressed with the service. Very personal and no feeling of being rushed either during my eye test or when choosing my glasses. Also surprising cheaper than the chain.

If this is your first visit then I don't think it matters too much where you go for the eye test as all should be testing your overall eye health as well as any prescription needed. Once you have your prescription you are free to shop around for glasses / contacts. Different stores have different ranges and different offers so chose something that works for you.

10. HarlequinCat

Thanks all. It's just that someone we knew was rushed through a test and didn't get an accurate prescription at Tescos. It's more the service I was enquiring about. But there again it may just have been the store he went to.

We may try buying glasses elsewhere afterwards if none look like a good fit while there, I always just thought you'd get them where you were tested :oops:. We shall see what independent ones are here too

11. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Perhaps pop into a few places, independents and high street and see how you feel. Listen in to how the staff deal with the customers. You can browse the glasses on display as you listen in. Otherwise get some recommendations from local friends or family. The chains will all be different re staff and service. I haven't used Tesco or boots but spec savers is a franchise and of the 4 different stores I have been to, service and approach has been different to a certain extent in each.

HarlequinCat likes this.
  12. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Re getting glasses, most stores should be able to order other styles and colours in if what they have isn't quite right.

13. HarlequinCat

That's great @kittih thanks for that, I didn't have a clue specsavers was a franchise. We'll pop around a few independents tomorrow and see which sounds the best

14. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

The only thing I would add is that if you find a place you like its worth sticking with them. Not so much for eye prescription but for monitoring eye health, particularly if / when you are the wrong side of 40 or have any health issues or gave eye issues like glaucoma in your family. This is because they can get a baseline on your eye health then monitor any changes over the years. That's not to say you shouldn't change if you are not happy but if you are then it is better not to chop and change .

HarlequinCat likes this.
  15. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

I've worn specs since I was about 11 and have used independent opticians and ones in Boots, SpecSavers etc. Overall it really depends on the optician that works there - same as every profession, there are good and bad. I find Boots and SpecSavers very good and independents are usually good but may not have all of the equipment for monitoring eye health that the big opticians have these days. Tesco optician messed up my prescription but I put that down to her rather than the company.

HarlequinCat likes this.
  16. TallulahCat

TallulahCat PetForums VIP

I've always used Vision Express and found them excellent.

I now use an independent optician, but only because I've moved and there isn't a Vision Express nearby. They can't make my glasses in an hour (prescription very strong) so it would mean 2 trips.

HarlequinCat likes this.
  17. steveshanks

While i was in Tescos i mentioned getting glasses on-line, seems a lot of people get the free eye test then buy on-line which to me is a bit cheeky LOL......I have had a few extra pairs on-line though and all have been good.

18. MollySmith

MollySmith PetForums VIP

Check to see if your university has a optician and optometrist practice. I cannot recommend our university, Anglia Ruskin University, enough. I was told I may have visual stress due to dyspraxia. A optometrist quoted £300 for the full test. The university will cost me £30. My eye test is free. Each appointment was run by the student in their last year of study and supervised. Really good.

kittih likes this.
  19. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

ooh I will have to look into this. Is it at the main building on East Road ? :)

20. MollySmith

MollySmith PetForums VIP

It's the street down the side, between the Zion baptist and East Road! You have to ring during term times so you maybe after Easter now.

kittih likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice