Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Opposite genders?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by ChatterPuss, Apr 3, 2011.

1. ChatterPuss

ChatterPuss PetForums VIP

Do people tend to find that dogs relate more to females and bitches to men ?
    Like mollymoo we have a pup that is very attached to me and when walking, if he is being held by my oh he keeps turning to look for me. I would love to get him a companion and would love a Welsh Springer bitch. Do you think if we did that she may bond to my oh or is it mainly who cares for and feeds them? I would ideally like to rehome one as they are very difficult to get hold of under £800 and we only want her as a family pet and companion for our dog! :001_smile:

2. rona

rona Guest

I've been more bonded with all my bitches than the dog I have now

3. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

I think it's more to do with the individual dog and who does most of the caring.
    My little girl will cry and shake to get to me if someone else is holding her where as my boy will be anyones best friend.

A girl would be a good balance with your boy for a second dog - maybe get your OH to do more of the initial training etc to help build more of a bond.

4. ChatterPuss

ChatterPuss PetForums VIP

That's what I was thinking ! That way it will be nice when we go out as a family!

5. Mese

Mese PetForums VIP

I am with our dogs 24/7 , and I know my boys love me , yet its my OH that both Toffee and Teddy (both males) adore , they go nuts when he gets home from work

Gypsy (female) is my shadow , where I go , she has to come too (not separation anxiety cos I can go out and she will settle happily) but if im around then she's right by my side

so in our house genders seem to go with like , both the lads love their Dad and our girl loves me (her Mum) :)

6. beary_clairey

beary_clairey PetForums VIP

Truthfully I think its down to the individual characters of the dogs.

My first girl Honey, was a proper ladies dog and therefore was a total Mummys girl!

With my collie Rex it was more 60/40 in my favour.

Lilly is my lap dog again and bit of a Mummys girl.

Bella is 50/50. If either me or OH leave the room she is always one step behind us!

For a nice balance with your boy, I would recommend a female. Just dont be surprised if they end up both yours! ;)

7. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

I've always bonded better with male dogs than females but then they are my preference and it most likely shows to the dogs. I'm a cuddly kind of person and have found over the years that dogs are more soppy than bitches. Bitches I find more clever but that's not endearing to me, I prefer a good old cuddle any day. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice