Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

opinions please

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by corrine3, Aug 3, 2009.

1. corrine3

corrine3 PetForums VIP

As some of u will remember we lost our lab fletcher nearly a month ago. While still grieving for him I cant help but think about what dog we mite get when we're ready. We inherited Fletcher from my brother in law and next time round we want to put plenty of thought into what dog is right for us.

With Fletcher I walked him in the morning, then he had 3 hours on his own in an outside kennel, with hut, then walked for an hour then another 3 hours till i got home from work. This worked well for him as he was slowly introduced to the routine as a pup.

I want a dog that can be left for up to 3/4hours at a time, with a walk before and after. we have no children. i would also like a rescue dog but very unsure if we could give it the best home when its getting left. any opinions??

2. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

If you want a rescue then best thing to do is go in and speak to them, be honest and they can find you the perfect match. If some of the bigger ones won't re home to you because you work alot of the smaller ones will.

Also have you considered a retired greyhound?

3. Johnderondon

Johnderondon PetForums VIP

^^

Wot she said.

4. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Yes I would agree with a retired greyhound. More than happy to sleep all day and take any exercise you give them.

5. corrine3

corrine3 PetForums VIP

the only thing with getting a rescue is my OH wants a young dog so no older than a year, where as i would have anything but have to compromise. He would love a beagle but i dont think they would be suitable for getting left and obviously wouldnt be a rescue.

6. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

There would be beagles in rescue I'm sure but they don't do well being left on their own far too people orientated.

7. hollie.hocks

hollie.hocks PetForums Member

Hi,

Beagle welfare do a weekly re-homing list: Beagle Welfare & Advice : Re-Homing List

May help when the time is right, they would be able to give good advice about the amount of time each dog can be left etc.

H x

8. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Unless you get a real problem dog I cant see any reason not to leave it that length of time with a good walk in the middle.

9. Johnderondon

Aren't Beagles famous for not doing well alone?

10. Johnderondon

Double post.

11. corrine3

corrine3 PetForums VIP

it doesnt have to be a beagle, so any other suggestions are welcome. thank you for all ur replies

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice