Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

opinions please

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by shoreset, May 6, 2011.

1. shoreset

shoreset PetForums Senior

Some of you may know that I gave up my horse over a year ago (my mothers decision).
    I have had over a year out of horses now untill reccently i got a job at a riding centre (which I love). I sort of took on a share horse but after alot of thinking decided I couldnt really afford it at the moment. So I eneded the share.
    Last saturday I found out my mare was up for loan and so I jumped at the oppurtunity to loan her, I have now had her since monday (still on the same yard as her owner). I can only just afford her, and my mum has said she is having nothing to do with it, including giving me the odd lift to the yard. Shore is now lame after bombing around the field yesterday when I was trying to catch her.
    We havent discussed vet bills and I know it is usually the loaners responsibility, however i rushed so quickly into this i didnt stop to think about this. There is no way I can afford vet bills, esp with having had no time to put money to one side.
    It will kill me to have to say goodbye to her a second time. :(

2. harley bear

harley bear PetForums VIP

Are the owners not responsible for vet bills? If not thats abit of a cop out isnt it?

3. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

This must be awful for you, this is one of the reasons even when we had a reasonable income I wouldn't take on the massive responsibility of a horse
    Have you actually talked it through with her owner, they may be sympathetic & you could negotiate something. I'm not aure about you mum, only you would be able to persuade her
    Good luck xx

4. shoreset

shoreset PetForums Senior

I knew i couldnt realistically afford a horse, thats why I ended my previous share, and I wouldnt have taken on a loan but because it was her my heart took over and my head is only just catching up.

Mums made it clear that she wont help. I will be speaking to her owner but I dont know what to say and I probably wont be able to speak to her untill monday :(

5. bird

bird PetForums VIP

To be honest I think you know the answer. You cannot afford it. :( Best to forget the loan, carry on your horse fix within your work environment, and maybe in a couple of years review the situation. ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice