Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Opinions please...... Girl/Girl or Girl/Boy

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Hb-mini, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Hb-mini

Hb-mini PetForums VIP

Hi!

We are hoping to get another Mini Schnauzer next summer, so i know i have a long time to think about it but i thought i would get your opinions on here....

We have Bella, she will be three next summer and she is spayed. What sex pup do you think we should go for? I have had conflicting advice so far, some have said get a boy and others have said get another girl.

What do you think? What are your experiences?

Thank you. xx

2. MissBexi

MissBexi PetForums VIP

Well I have a boy and girl. I got Suki first and just before she hit 1year old, I got Bailey. I've never had a male dog before and I decided that I wanted one. So I got him.
    Both are entire and I've had no problems with them. The only time I have to separate them is when Suki is in season. Other than that, they are together all the time and even are all cuddly together now :p

3. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Personally I think it depends on your dog.

I certainly wouldn't reccomend a girl to someone who has a dog that can be funny towards a dog if its in a bad mood. Or falls out with dogs or gets into arguments.
    Just because I know that a spayed dog and an in season dog can have some falling out! Even if they have previously been best mates. And I certainly wouldn't be advising to get spayed before the first season either.

But if you have a dog who is a well rounded balanced dog with a fab nature all the time then I would say it doesn't really matter what you go for.

Dixie had not been spayed yet when we kept Dave, but we kept a boy because I thought a boy would be better for her.
    Now both of them are neutered/spayed and both get on better with females than males so hopefully new puppy will be a girl.

4. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

I had Henrick first then got Bella, I really think he wouldnt have liked having another male in the house but there doesnt seem to be any competitiveness between them, they are really good together so my vote would be for girl/boy. Obviously if your Bella isnt spayed and you dont want to have her spayed thats another consideration.

5. Hb-mini

Hb-mini PetForums VIP

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.

So it kinda depends on Bella..... Well she is great with other dogs and she is neutered. So maybe either would be fine.

Its good to hear what others have got and how they find it.

Anymore replys more then welcome.

:)

6. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Are you going for a puppy from a breeder, or are you going for a rescue?
    A rescue then you could just go by who Bella likes the most, Lol.
    I also imagine it would be down to the individual breeder and what they would reccomend. Though if you had a good breeder and they said either way... then wait for puppies to be old enough to go and visit, and see who you click with :)

I am hoping for a girl, but as I have first pick, if a boy clicks with me then a boy it will be! :lol:

7. Hb-mini

Hb-mini PetForums VIP

If im 100% honest with you i do worry a bit about a rescue as i have a 9 month old and a 4 year old. I know to some that might sound odd, but i feel with a pup i can get them used to my girls from the very beginning.
    So its from a breeder, the same breeder we got Bella from......im so happy with Bella and when we were chatting the other day and she said she was planning a litter for next year i couldnt resist!!

I will chat to her about sex of pup next time we chat.

What pup are you getting?
    :)

8. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I know what you mean, I would love to rescue but I won't until the kids are much much older, I have an 11mo and a 5yo.

I am having a good old mongrel :lol:

9. Hb-mini

Hb-mini PetForums VIP

Ahh cute!! When are you hoping to get it? x

10. Hb-mini

Hb-mini PetForums VIP

P.s- i think i may remember you from baby club? Were you on baby and bump forum sometimes? xx

11. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Yeah I am on baby and bump! :D
    Got another 12ish weeks to wait yet :lol:

12. Hb-mini

Hb-mini PetForums VIP

I thought so!!
    Ooooo 12 weeks will fly by!! :)

13. beary_clairey

beary_clairey PetForums VIP

I've had both combos of boy/girl and girl/girl.

I can say that both combos have been fine. I think at the end of the day it comes down to the dogs character. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice