Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

opinions Please-any dogs good with kids and rabbits

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by kam200, May 18, 2010.

1. kam200

kam200 PetForums Junior

Hi everybody, I'm after your honest opinions please. I have 2 children aged 4 and 2 so am looking for a dog breed that is good with kids (although I know it's hard to make breed generalisations ) and we also have 4 rabbits in our garden so I think a breed like a terrier or greyhound would be out. We have enough time for about an hour or so a day for walks and are very responsible pet owners-just after your opinions really to see if there is a dog out there that you think would be suited to us or whether we should go back to the drawing board.
    Thanks a lot
    Kayleigh

2. jen24

jen24 Banned

im not going to recommend any particular breed as im a firm believer that breed means nothing lol all dogs can be perfect with children if trained and cared for correctly. but rabbits, im not too sure on, ive never had a dog and rabbit at the same time so i dont know, someone else may be able to help with that.

we have a GSD X STB, and he is perfect with our kids and our cat. Staffies are my fave breed so i will always favour them. :D

3. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

If you go to a rescue they can help you find a dog with the right temperment, already tested with small furries and kids.
    Dogs trust rehome suitable dogs with children in the house. As do many others.

If you want to buy a puppy - what sort of size, grooming, excersise requirements are you after?

Most breeds will be good with kids and small furries if raised with them and the furries are kept safe when not supervised and kids are 'trained' as well as the dog ;)

How about?
    Small - Shih Zu, Bichon
    Medium - One of the Spaniels ie, field or springer
    Large - One of the Retievers ie flat or golden
    Very Large - Leonberger - large Munsterlander.

4. nic101

nic101 PetForums VIP

this ^^^

although rescues are funny about rehoming with kids sometimes whichis stupid.

5. kam200

kam200 PetForums Junior

Hi everyone, I have been looking at rescues and they seem to be reluctant to rehome to families with children under 5. Do you think a puppy would be our best bet for bringing it up to be used to kids and rabbits? I don't really mind a small medium or large dog but a very large dog may prove difficult for my children to get used to-ie jumping up at them etc. We can exercise about an hour a day and something that doesn't rewuire loads of grooming would be ideal although some grooming I don't mind!
    Thanks

6. nic101

nic101 PetForums VIP

try the smaller rescues - some are better than others tbh...

what about a lab? thye seem like lovely dogs

cant think of any breeds off the top of my head atm

7. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

I think any dog breed can be good with both kids and other animals. getting a pup means that you can train the dog to be good around rabbits and children. I have a cocker spaniel and I have rabbits. He was barky with them at first when he was a pup, but he ignores them now. Greyhounds can even be homed to homes with rabbits, but I think this is rare.

8. PawsandPurrs-Bridgnorth

PawsandPurrs-Bridgnorth PetForums Member

Agree with trying the smaller rescues local to you. Maybe a mini Schnauzer pup? (they do need reg grooming though) They are very child friendly, and if bought up with the rabbits should be ok, but this can be said about most breeds really.

I really do think rescue is your best bet. Good luck!

9. kam200

kam200 PetForums Junior

Hi everyone, thanks for the replies..I'm going to try and research some smaller rescues in the north east (anyone have any experience of any?)and also off to research mini schnauzers!!
    Kayleigh

10. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

I would go with the toy breeds or something like a lab or maybe even bigger a newfie or saint bernard. Don't automatically write off something bigger unless you don't have the space I think bigger dogs are better with small children and if you go for a rescue they can get one that won't jump up. But any dog can be good with children and animals I have a terrier mix and a house rabbit together no problem and he adores children. It just depends on the dog rather than the breed. Mini schnauzers were ratters maybe not a good idea with rabbits I'm not sure about their prey drive now though

11. Colette

Colette PetForums VIP

I agree it would be best to check out the rescues first - the independant ones may well have tested and / or fostered the dogs with kids and other animals and know how they get on.

If you want to go for a pup I can vouch for bichons. When we got our first my cousin (a frequent visitor) had a one year old child. By the time we lost Tilly she had 3 kids from 7-12, so Tilly literally grew up with them. I also had a hamster when we first brought the pup home - which she loved - followed by an indoor rabbit. (And they really did love eachother). Current bichon also likes kids and lives with a guinea pig - in fact the piggy likes the dog far more than people, and they nuzzle through the pen bars.
    All that said, while they are fab little dogs they are an effort grooming wise - up to half an hour daily brushing (depending on thickness of coat), regular baths, plus clipping every 6-8 weeks.

I also agree that if you are getting a puppy breed is much less important - but it may still be worth erring on the side of caution and avoiding the terriers etc.

12. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

It is such a shame that rescues dont allow rehoming to families with younger children,especially when they are pups,but heyho im not going to harp on about that.
    I have always had dogs alongside children (from newborns upwards) and i really do think that providing you train your dog properly and have stairgates in relevant places etc etc then alot of breeds will work just fine.Im sure certain breeds may not work with rabbits,however most breeds will be fine with the correct training (i have chooks and cats also)
    Good luck in your search :)

13. JjPhoenix

JjPhoenix PetForums Member

rescue remedies have dogs that are proven with young children, and they will rehome those ones to homes with children, remember to go through with your kids nice behaviour around the dog.

Rescue Remedies - Dogs to Suit You their a really good rescue as well, can highly recommend them

personally i would recommend a staffy with kids, their know as THE nanny dog and truly they are great. I do some fostering and rehoming and have rehomed my second staffy at xmas to a family with young kids, they have a 3 yr old and a 9 yr old.
    heres the pic i recieved the other day on my phone
    [​IMG]
    and yes that is the little 3 yr old!
    my staffy as well is brill with them, hes a rescue and he lives with 4 ferrets, 1 cat, 1 mouse 1 snake and 2 beardies and he's good with them all (well except the mouse which he just lies there and stares at)

14. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

I would say a show bred whippet. They can easily be trained not to chase pet rabbits. I know people who have whippets with ducks, chickens and rabbits. A show bred would have less oof a chase instinct than a working or racing bred whippet.

I would have a puppy though that you could teach from an early age rather than looking for a rescue.

They are great with kids, will walk as far or as little as you like although they can be a bit excitable as a pup no more than any other pup. They need very little grooming but would need a coat in the winter especially if we have the same weather as we had this year.

15. Joolz1975

Joolz1975 PetForums Member

Ive had the same dilema as i have a 4 year old child (and also a 14 year old but he will be fine with whatever dog we get) and i also have a cat, a rabbit and a tortoise so i really debated over what to get!

We have decided on a cocker Spaniel as they are a nice size.

Im hoping it gets on with my other pets but the rabbit and tortoise have secure enclosures anyway as would never leave them unsupervised together!

The only animal i have concerns about is my cat as im not sure how she will take to it but im hoping she will adapt to a puppy!

Go on the kennel club website, see what breed catches your eye and then research each individual one! thats what i did we were torn between a Cocker, a Beagle and a Boxer at one point!

16. kam200

kam200 PetForums Junior

Are bless, nice to see rescues that rehome to families with young children-i'll check the link out now.
    Thanks

17. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

In some ways it would be better to check out a rescue first as already suggested as you can get a better idea of the dogs temprament although this doesn't always 100% guarantee that they will behave in the same way in your home.
    Maybe a lab or retriever puppy or a toy breed, check out the KC website for breeds that have low prey drives. I don't beleive that all dogs will display the typical charactersitics associated with their breed but some will be alot harder to train as they do have certain instincts that are part of their make up.
    Good luck in your search!

18. kam200

kam200 PetForums Junior

Hi everyone, thanks for the great suggestions-I think I'm going to have a sit down and research on the KC and also have a look at rescue websites.
    I do quite like the look of a retriever or a spaniel but do they need quite alot of exercise? Whippets also sound very suited to our lifestyle but I don't know whether I'd be too scared about getting one around the rabbits, I suppose it'd be worth researching them and their prey drive.
    Thanks alot:)

19. turkeylad

turkeylad PetForums VIP

İ am not convinced its much about the breed but either finding the right young dog with a good temperant or a puppy which you can train alongside the chıldren. Good Luck choosing but more often than not your right dog will choose the children watch how they interact.

20. Joolz1975

Joolz1975 PetForums Member

If your interested in Cocker Spaniels i have researched quite a few breeders now and found a handful that i was really happy with so i can send you the details if you like, they were scattered around the country, not sure where you are based but there maybe one near your!

Im really happy with the one i have chosen she is in Lincs.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice