Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

opinions on..

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by celicababe1986, Mar 29, 2011.

1. celicababe1986

celicababe1986 PetForums VIP

having a dog without having a garden.

Does anyone have a dog without a garden, what is your routine?

those who do have gardens, do you think it is cruel to have a dog without a garden?

2. Staffx

Staffx PetForums Senior

I start by saying I have a garden and the dog barely uses it, just as a toilet before bed and in the morning really. I will leave the door open for him to go out and play in the garden but he prefers to lie by the door instead (I imagine as the glass magnifies the sun).

If I didn't have a garden he would probably get a couple of extra walk which would be no bad thing.

Like everything it depends on the individual but I would say it certainly isn't a must.

3. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

i think its totally doable to have a dog with no garden. just means you cant be lazy when it comes to letting the dog out for a pee. ;)

4. molly moo

molly moo PetForums Member

i use to live in a flat with molly and it didn't bother her having a garden , we live in a house and to be fair she would rather go for a walk than use the garden , she only uses the garden when she really needs to go for a wee etc right that min x

5. Miss.PuddyCat

Miss.PuddyCat PetForums VIP

We do have a big garden but its mainly patio stone with a 2 foot space(dirt) around that before the fence on two sides. But the back gate opens up on to a big park!

I think you just need to plan out where you can walk and use those areas to there full advantage.

6. gizzmo341

gizzmo341 PetForums Junior

i have no garden, i find is good because you can't get lazy with the walks because its raining, or too hot, ect. as for the routin i'm not the best to ask becuase i'm out alot with her but my route is..
    if going to nan's in red
    otherwise in black
    0930 - up, dressed, watch tv
    1000 - walking the dog (if i wake her before 10 she gets grumpy) and then walk her to the field 2min away if not at nans then we will do a long walk wil the other 2 dogs
    1100 - pick up 2 more dogs and back to park
    1200 - take the other 2 back
    1300 - toilet and bus
    1400 - walk to park (30 min)
    1500 - walk 30mins to 1hr
    1830 - toilet and bus home
    1900 - walk short around block
    2200 - toilet
    if up 0000 - toilet before bed

7. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

i dont think its cruel having a dog with no garden, but i do think it would be easier with an adult dog than a young puppy.

8. portiaa

portiaa PetForums VIP

I think it is probably do-able.

Although..I'm not certain on how you would go about toliet training (if its a puppy) but there probably is ways.
    Although if its a rescue (therefor been in a home before,probably) and had a garden in its previous home,you would have to get it used to not having one. (that probably doesn't make sense :eek:)

It also can be a plus,because you can't ever be lazy with the walking-if a dog needs the toliet,you will have to walk it.

Myself i dont think i would be able too, i'd feel bad :eek: But theres deffinatly ways of doing it!

If you can cope with extra walks and things..-Go for it! :D

9. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

Would be harder to toilet train a pup but after that i don't think it really makes a difference. Oscars routine wouldnt be a problem without a garden because he isnt the sort of dog i can just let out in the garden for his daily exercise anyway. If we didnt have a garden he would get a walk in the morning (he often holds his bladder until our first walk anyway) then another shorter one in the afternoon and a wee break before bed, maybe one other wee trip during the day if he needed it.

Worth remembering though some breeds really do like lying outside (i think the Nordic ones do and some of the heavier coated ones) I think its a temperature thing ;)

10. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

We only have a back yard, but have a dog flap now so they can get in & out when they want, we only have the dog flap becasue when Banjo was a puppy he followed the cats out through the cat flap which was great he near enough house trained himself but he grew & the cat flap did'nt :rolleyes: our yard is coverd over so dont have to worry about undesirables getting in ;)

We would love a garden though, & life would have been alot easier when Banjo was on restricted walks, felt so guilty takeing Holly off for a good run & leaveing him behind :( if we had a garden I think he would hve been a bit happier :)

11. Val001

Val001 PetForums Senior

Not sure how house checkers would view it though if you are getting a rescue. Our house checker was very impressed with our garden and it seemed to be quite important to her overall assessment.

I couldn't be without a garden for me anyway. No way. And the dogs love it not just for toilet but generally and they still get plenty of walks as well.

Personally I wouldn't feel happy about having a dog with no garden but I guess it can work out OK.

12. cravensmum

cravensmum PetForums VIP

I lived in a flat before I moved here and although it did have a small garden I never used it.It was stone flagged and not secure.
    My last dog was 8 months old and toilet trained when we moved in there,so I don't know what it would be like with a young puppy.
    I was lucky that there was a good place to walk dogs just out the back of the flats.
    The only thing is in the mornings you have to get up and get dressed to go out no matter what the weather.
    And you have to be prepared to walk the dog late at night,before you go to bed.

It is easier with a garden,but I didn't know that at the time and never found it difficult or hard to do and managed to do it for 6 years with a fairly large dog.

13. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I don't have a backyard for McKenzie and we live in a 2nd floor flat.

Toilet training was hard, especially because it was winter. But we got there in the end and to be honest I'm not sure that it made too much difference as they recommend you take the pup out on a lead to toilet at first anyway. Just meant I got fitter carrying her up and down stairs (which would have been a problem with a big dog).

Our schedule now she's a bit bigger is something like this:

8.30am-ish - Get up, take McKenzie out
    10-11-ish - Go for a walk/spend time outside
    2pm-ish - take McKenzie out
    5pm-ish - take McKenzie out
    7pm-ish - quick walk
    10.30pm-ish - take McKenzie out

I think Kenzie would enjoy a garden but she is still perfectly happy as it is :)

14. 2Hounds

2Hounds PetForums VIP

I do have a garden but being on clay it can get waterlogged and its easier & quicker to take the dog for a walk than clean muddy paws & when we travel we often stay in hotels and rarely get a ground floor room so i know we can manage without so while ideal i don't think its a necessity to dog ownership. Some rescues do consider flat dwellers so shouldn't rule out taking that route.

15. Dazadal

Dazadal PetForums Member

We have a garden and due to the fact I like gardening (as do the dogs given half a chance):mad: They only have restricted access to it.
    I take our 5 for their early morning, lunchtime, supper and late evening walks so my dogs hardly use the garden at all. It is certainly possible to have a dog so long as the dog gets to go out often.:)

16. ballybee

ballybee PetForums VIP

My aunt has 2 dogs in a 2nd floor flat with no garden. However she has a large park just 10 minutes away so both dogs (aged 4 and 7ish they're both rescues no idea how old the male is but roughly 7) get about an hour in the park, plus at least a 15 minute walk in the morning and evening and round the block when they need the loo(takes about 10 mins to get right round...she lives in Glasgow btw). Both dogs are happy and healthy so i feel that as long as the dog gets plenty of exercise every day and is happy with that then theres no problem. I have a large garden but i only use it for Tummels last toilet of the day or if it's really nice then i'll sit and read a book while he potters round but i rarely use it, prefer to go on long walks.

17. jamie1977

jamie1977 Banned

I live in a flat and all the rescues I have been in touch with have told me that my accommodation/lack of garden will not be a factor as long as i can prove I have access to areas for toileting and walks etc.

This block has a staffie, and a terrier type. My old block had a GSD and a Rottie.

If you have no garden due to living in a flat the only thing that you need to consider is a puppy will be alot harder to train/cope with compared to an adult dog,if you have no garden. And I would not get a large breed in a flat unless I lived on the ground floor or had a lift. Like someone said to me "A large dog will cope with having to walk up staircases alot easier than you would cope having to get an unconscious large dog down those staircases in an emergency."

18. ameliajane

ameliajane PetForums VIP

I house trained a puppy (about 20 yrs ago) whilst living on the 9th floor of a tower block. I did it by first training her to use the balcony (I would have used newspaper etc if there had been no balcony) and then i waited until she had developed really good bladder control before retraining her to go outside. It would have been too much to expect a very young puppy to wait ages for a lift right from the start. I don't really know anything about training dogs but this seemed like common sense and it worked really well.

She lived all her life in tower blocks and probably had a lot more walks than if i'd lived in a house with garden, where it might have been tempting sometimes to just open the back door...

19. celicababe1986

celicababe1986 PetForums VIP

Thank you all for your replies.

I am not looking to get a pup. There are only two of us in my flat, big green out front and behind, with woodlands 5 min walk away. plus I walk 2 dogs everyday and travel to various places so walking/toileting isnt a problem.

My only worry was I know some dogs like to just lay in the sun, and I wouldnt want to deprive them of this. although I do get (on sunny days) sun spots on my living room and hallway floors~dont know if this compensates??

There is a person in the flat over the road who live on top floor wiith a collie, and they cope well.

20. ameliajane

ameliajane PetForums VIP

Sounds perfect! Loads of space outside and interesting places to walk. Animals will lie in the sun spots on the floors (and of course indoor sun spots are warm even in winter!) and on nice days take a book or music and go sit outside on the grass with the dog - you can both go and lie out in the sun! I used to buy my old dog and myself an icecream each..!

#20 ameliajane, Mar 30, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice