Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

opinions on this cage?

Discussion in 'Small Animal Chat' started by Piptherussiandwarf, Jun 12, 2020.

1. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

For what animal?

2. Piptherussiandwarf

Piptherussiandwarf PetForums Newbie

syrian hamster :)

3. anachronism

anachronism PetForums VIP

If you look on zooplus there is a cage called an alaska which is good for Syrians and a lot cheaper. The barney is also good and even more floor space, and there is a cage called mamble 100 which also has loads of space, Syrians like a lot of room for exploration :)

ForestWomble and Millie2027 like this.
  4. Piptherussiandwarf

what about this cage though?

5. ForestWomble

I'd be concerned about not getting decent air circulation in that cage.

6. anachronism

No bars for climbing and it might be a squeeze getting a proper sized wheel with stand in

7. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

It looks cramped. Need space for a wheel, bedding,hidey boxes, food bowl toys etc.

Also seems very expensive for what it is.

8. Piptherussiandwarf

hi all, the customer photos looked good imo, and it’s a meter long! it’s designed for guinea pigs but a lot of people use it for a hamster cage. it had just as good aeration as other cages, if not better.

9. mrs phas

mrs phas karma is a funny old thing

1) so you don't really want our opinion, you want us,to reinforce your opinion

2)Guinea pigs don't climb, so big difference.but I still wouldn't use it for them either, unless for temporary home, guineas need much more than a metre of space

3) airflow is definitely bad in that, no through flow so lots of static stale air

Nope nope nope

ForestWomble likes this.
  10. rona

rona Still missing my boys

At the hedgehog rescue I've helped out at, the lady that runs it will not use cages like that, one because they have bad airflow and the other because the hedgehogs can't see out. Animals need stimulation as well as exercise and your little Hamster wouldn't be able to climb anywhere in that and there's no room for anything but the very basics

ForestWomble likes this.
  11. anachronism

The length is great but it's only 36cm high. A 12 inch wheel with stand is going to be a squeeze. A Syrian hamster will be much better in an alaska, Barney or mamble 100

Piptherussiandwarf likes this.
  12. ForestWomble

You honestly think the cage you've linked to has better air flow than this for example?:
    https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pets/hutches_cages/hamster_cages/hamster_cages/174238

You need a through air flow, the cage you've linked to only has one opening, not good enough.

13. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Senior

As a fellow hamster enthusiast I will tell you despite what others say that this is suitable for hamsters.

Hamsters don't need to climb, in fact they're very bad at it! They are ground dwellers and rarely climb in the wild. If your hamster is climbing the bars they are probably bored. You don't want height, you want length.

The zoozone 2 is 100x50cm and half that price. But you'll need to mesh the lid.

You'll need a 28-33cm upright wheel and I suggest putting it at one end of the tank and filling the other end with a lot of bedding for burrowing

14. Piptherussiandwarf

so why would they sell it if it wasn’t safe and why would the reviews be so good? i never said that the cage i attached has better air flow than the one you have. the tagged cage you have linked is not suitable for my placing of my cage (i cannot have it). i do not like barred cages as they can encourage chewing, escaping and monkey barring EVEN if the hamster isn’t stressed. i would ideally like the ikea detolf, look it up. this is literally a glass cabinet with a DIY roof for air flow. why would so many hamster owners use this if it wasn’t safe? i know good hamster care and do not appreciate you thinking that i don’t :(

15. Piptherussiandwarf

thank you! i’ve been trying to find somewhere that sells the zoozone 2? no websites sell it which is super annoying lol

16. Piptherussiandwarf

thanks! i’ve been thinking of going for a dwarf hamster to be honest! changed my mind hehe. i’ve heard bad reviews on the alaska, apparently it’s very flimsy and easy to escape?

17. anachronism

I haven't found that. I've used it for introing rats and it's plenty sturdy. Currently got my Syrian hamster in and no issues

18. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Senior

I have found it very unstable to be honest but others love it. I had to zip tie the corners a lot or they'd come undone :(

19. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Senior

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice