Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

opinions on the mutt please

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by davehyde, Jul 28, 2009.

1. davehyde

davehyde Banned

as posted in another thread i think he is getting a little chunky for 6 mnths old.

what does he look like to you. i couldnt get him to stand still tho lol.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

a little BUT i like my dogs with a tiny bit of meat on them :)

3. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

if your bothered about his weight ease up on any treats you give, scraps or training aids.... he looks ok to me though i dont know how big they are supposed to be at that age. Id say if he was a little lighter it will only benefit his joints though :)

4. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

The rule of thumb is that you should easily be able to feel the ribs with light pressure.
    Hard to tell from a picture.

x

5. davehyde

davehyde Banned

his dad was a really big boned solid chap.

he is the same if you can see his front legs they are huge for his age. his paws are like shovels lol.

i think i have been overfeeding a bit to be honest.

6. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Prob best to cut his food back a wee bit then, as exess weight could result in hip or elbow displacia due to the extra weight on the joints as he is still growing.

Feed him a little less and get out for a few more walks :)

x

ps- hes still cute :)

1 person likes this.
  7. If you think you have been overdoing it a bit with him then yes cut down slowly.

Worth remembering is that his training treats need to be taken away from his meal portions so you dont overfeed.

As he is still a baby you cant really up his excercise (unless he isnt getting any ;) ), but you can use portion controll, and maybe take him for more offlead fun than lead walking for his excercise.

8. davehyde

davehyde Banned

lol pg, it's me gonna get HP with all the walks he gets.

he is really active and loves being out, it's just this past couple of weeks he hasnt been off lead so much due to the weather and his love of mudholes.

i can feel his ribs ok, i just havent come across a golden so solid and big boned at his age before, his mate jamie is a year old and barely bigger than him.

everyone who sees him reckons he is "right" but they dont have him jumping on them at 6.a.m. for a walk lol.

billy

yeah i tend to allow for treats in his diet too. i also followed the 5 mins per month rule but it just wasnt enough for him.

i sometimes wonder if i never got a dog from an earlier litter lol. about 3 months earlier, when we are out we have a 6.oo gang and have about 10 dogs there. from a little cav to a huge gsd couple of shar pei's a dobie a staffyx a spaniel yorkie couple of labs. so he plays and wrestles for ever lol.
    he is the only one who runs straight for the bloody mudhole though.

#8 davehyde, Jul 28, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
  9. Does look to be a little on the 'porky' side to me! do as others suggest and cut back on treats! and maybe even reduce his food!
    How many meals a day are you feeding!
    regards
    DT

10. davehyde

davehyde Banned

only 2 a day now, but as i said in other thread i stopped weighing his food and started guessing, and it turned out i was giving him way too much.:eek:ut:

back to weighing again lol.

11. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

He does look like hes carrying a bit too much around his waist.

I dont pay much attention to the whole rib feeling, ive seen some moribidly obese dogs, and you can still easily feel their ribs, as it isnt a place where fats lays until there are severely overweight.

The waist is the first place where the fat will show. If his sides are straight when you look from above, then he is carrying too much. Personally, i prefer young dogs to be slightly on the thinner side, especially those prone to joint problems.

12. Savahl

Savahl Guest

when I stopped weighing busters food i was over estimating on food...it didnt look enough! so i got a smaller bowl lol. Its all perspective!

Weighing of course was the less lazy option but what can i say

13. Billy is on nd so i'm not really qualified on measuring dry food.

However a friend of mine has an old mug she uses to measure the food. She weighed it once, poored it into the mug then drew a line in the mug with permanent marker. Now she doesnt need to weigh ;) :D

14. davehyde

davehyde Banned

ok, i have upset him and hurt his feelings now.

i told him he was a wee fat bugga and he has sulked ever since.
    wont come to me or talk to me lol.

i swear, he is sulking cos i cut his dinner down lol.

15. Patterdale_lover

Patterdale_lover PetForums VIP

Is he a lab or a golden?
    Whatever he is he is a cutie pie, but yes i agree with some other posters a bit big :eek:
    How many times a day do you feed him? Do you give him snacks when you are cooking or off the table? How often do you give treats?

16. davehyde

davehyde Banned

i put it down to not weighing out his food properly and guesstimating it instead. it turned out he was getting way too much and even factoring in the treats he was way over what he should have been getting.

cut him back to weighed out measures now lol.

17. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Agreed my Cromwell is slightly over weight because of his age and the steriods he has to have everyday, but you can visabily see his ribs, his stomach and waist area is well covered so the ribs are not really anything to go by.

I'd say you boy is a tad chunky but certainly nothing to worry about. Replace some of the food with carrot chunks and other vegi's if he likes them. He'll never know he's not getting the same calories if he's got other things to munch on. ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice