Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Opinions on raw hide

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Cazz enigma, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Cazz enigma

Cazz enigma PetForums Member

Really unsure whether or not to give Finnley and Fergus any type of chew with raw hide in?
    What sort of age should they be before they are allowed it?
    Read stories of it clogging up their guts as they can't digest it?

Any suggestions?

2. bearcub

bearcub PetForums VIP

Rawhide is very thin compared to a bone, so a dog is able to rip off huge chunks with ease. This is what worries me about it, as a dog could so easily choke on it. In fact, one of my foster dogs once did - was quite a scary experience.

I avoid it altogether but I must say I have heard the clogging up the guts stories too but never come across it happening myself.

3. Lil Doglets

Lil Doglets PetForums VIP

I don't like it personally, mine have both choked on the stuff enough times for me to never want to feed it ever again :( there are far nicer/safer/healthier chews/treats to give ;)
    That's just me and my dogs though ofc, i'm sure plenty of people feed it with no problems at all, but i wouldn't give any rawhide to any future dogs either as like i say, there's plenty of better alternatives :)

4. 8tansox

8tansox PetForums VIP

There is no way in 10 million years I would ever give my dogs the stuff. Why not give them a raw meaty bone instead? Far better for them, cheaper, kinder on them and cleans their teeth too.

Raw hide chews go soft and get stuck in throats, they should not be allowed for general sale IMO. Dangerous dangerous dangerous.

If however you do decide to go ahead, then I would strongly advise buy the ones that do not have knots at either ends, and never EVER leave your dog alone with it.

5. Ruffers

Ruffers PetForums Senior

We don't give raw hide anymore - a few weeks ago he had one and then several hours later was really sick :( he finally brought up the soggy rawhide chew... He felt very sorry for himself!

We tend to stick to air dried treats like tripe or beef sticks.

6. BeagleOesx

BeagleOesx PetForums VIP

Personally I wouldn't let my 2 have it. In the past we have had a few occasions where Harvey nearly choked on pieces he had chewed off but we managed to get them off him in time (not always easy I might add). We haven't let him have any since and poor Willow has never even had one since we got her.

7. missnaomi

missnaomi PetForums VIP

Ours have it sometimes, but never ever unsupervised. Rosie needs a really big one too or she just tries to eat it in one piece rather than chew on it. I think the main hazard is that dogs can choke on it.

We use stag bars, filled Kongs, raw bones, pigs ears, pigs snouts, cow ears, bulls pizzles (although the name makes me laugh), Anto's rice bones (last ages with our smaller dog) as well as rawhide sometimes. We also have Nylabones although I've read really mixed reports about them and their safety.

If you're worried about it, maybe just stick with something else - stag bars seem really good.

Naomi x

8. portiaa

portiaa PetForums VIP

They are banned from our house due to the dogs previously choking on them:(

9. Coffee

Coffee PetForums VIP

I've never given Alfie it and I never will... I've heard too many horror stories about them!

He has a nice meaty bone 2 or 3 times a week instead :) Significantly cheaper than rawhide too ;) I got a bag of 10 ribs from the butchers yesterday for 50p :D

10. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

i used to hold a raw hide stick for chester when he was teething...but now as he older i would not give him one , supervised or not....even if the dogs supervised what could you do if it got stuck in the throat? chances are you could do nothing :(

dogs have died by choking on raw hide

11. rona

rona Still missing my boys

They were a godsend when Alfie was ill, but I always limited his time chewing, never left him even for a minute and removed anything that could have stuck in his throat.

Not a chew to be used unless you want to sit and watch them for the total time they have them

12. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

after removing a piece from reds throat with a spoon :eek:

and Percy sicking up a whole cigar roll (given to him by someone else)

It isnt something I feel I can give them no,

13. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I will never give it; it isn't just the choking / obstruction problems but the chemical processing that a lot of the rawhide chews go through that puts me off as well.

14. troublestrouble

troublestrouble PetForums Senior

Trouble has one occasionally but only large thick ones and she is a large(ish) dog so i think she is fine with it. she chews on them for a long time before swallowing so i trust her but when Stark gets her first one i will be watching her closely to see how she handles it

if you want to try it give them one which is big so they have to chew at it rather than just easily rip chunks off and try to swallow

tbh, Stark had her first chicken wing last night and she really liked it, took it nice and slow but got really stuck in, so i might just stick with bones for her teeth (she is 15 weeks so is still quite small, well small in comparison to a 2 year old gsd anyway)

15. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

Well I give it to Dex all the time- the pressed stuff, not the softer white stuff with no problems whatso ever. Supervised yes.

16. springfieldbean

springfieldbean PetForums VIP

I can't remember where I read it now, but I've heard that pressed rawhide is safer than non-pressed rawhide. Maybe someone who knows more will be able to comment on that?

I do buy these

Great Deals on Lukullus Dog Bones at zooplus!: Mixed taster pack Lukullus Gourmet Dog Bones

for Sherlock for times when we have to go on the train (otherwise he barks) and I obviously monitor him closely while he chews it - no probs yet. After all these bad reviews I think I'm going to look for an alternative though.

17. Cazz enigma

Cazz enigma PetForums Member

Wow, what a response, thanks everyone.
    I think definitely no then!!

Stag bars, heard those mentioned a few times, not sure what they are.
    And the bones, for the teeth, which sort would you recommend, bearing in mind my dogs are small :)

18. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

I would never give one to my dog, as other people have said they can choke or do much worse.

19. kezza30

kezza30 PetForums Junior

I always assumed these where very popular items for dogs, from my small stint working in a pet shop people always bought these in dozens along with tripe and pigs ears:bored:

Learn a new thing everyday, guess i'll be scratching them off my list:D

20. JonoBeagle

JonoBeagle PetForums Member

Boris has never had a problem with them, but then I think that just be his character. He thinks treats are for skoffing and rawhide and the like for chewing but we always give him large pressed bones that are too big for him and they last for ages but the soft, white ones he finishes unbelievably quickly, so again he is supervised but I do feel uneasy about how quickly they go; but he does chew them and make them last so it must be his character. Certainly an item to be very careful with...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice