Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Opinions of dogs trust surrendering?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by alexanorris, Apr 2, 2017.

1. alexanorris

alexanorris PetForums Newbie

Does anyone have any experience of surrendering a dog to dogs trust or know how it works? I've came to the decision that it's best for my dog as it's quite difficult to find her the perfect home on my own and I need to know she's going to the best home possible. How long does the whole process take and what happens once I've signed her over?

I'm heartbroken as I really love her but she's just too much for me to cope with at the moment especially with her being really aggressive towards other dogs.

I don't want anyone trying to talk me out of it as I've made up my mind. It's too difficult for me to handle 2 dogs with my current health problems.

2. leashedForLife

I know absolutely nothing, via personal experience, about Dogs' Trust. OTOH, they enjoy a pretty good rep. :)
    I definitely won't be talking U out of it - I think surrendering her to an organization that CAN & WILL do B-mod to make them more adoptable, is a very, very ethical choice, & far-more responsible than re-homing via an ad, dropping the dog off after dark somewhere, or other "solutions" that only make more problems. :(
    I think it's a good choice - & please be very frank with the intake person, they need all the details of her behavioral issues; they won't refuse her, & they need to know her behavior history to help her effectively. B-Mod is based on what the dog does, now - primarily, it's simply DS / CC, DeSensitize / Counter-Condition.
    She should be just fine - & U'll miss her, i'm sure, but U & Ur other dog deserve happiness & relaxation, too. Don't beat Urself up.

Maxine67 and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. Darkangelwitch

Darkangelwitch Princess Shona

I haven't had to surrender a dog to them but all my lovely dogs came from Dogs Trust and I never go anywhere else to get a dog.

They spend a lot of time training the dogs in their care and work to change behaviour issues before rehousing.

This is a very difficult time for you but you are obviously trying to do the best thing for both your dogs, DT will look after the dog so don't worry, he will find a new home and you can relax in that knowledge.

4. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

If you have decided to re-home her the Dog's Trust is probably the best choice.

rona, lorilu, leashedForLife and 2 others like this.
  5. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

If she is difficult to rehome she could spend years in kennels, is that really what you want for her. There are not that many people that want problem dogs.

6. Blaise in Surrey

Blaise in Surrey PetForums VIP

But Blitz, better than a breakdown of the life of a person, of other dogs, and maybe even of children... We do not know the full circumstances therefore, I believe, we should hesitate to judge.

7. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

According to their website they accept handovers from the public - you need to contact your local centre direct by phone or in person ( do not email). There may be a waiting list as they are likely to be full. There is no specific time scales for taking the dog or rehoming. Once accepted they will assess the dog and match to prospective owners. Most dogs are kennelled, staff and volunteers try their best to walk, train and entertain the dog and often try to spend some time in a house type set up or the office.
    Be completely honest about your reasons for rehoming and your dogs behaviours - that is the best way to find the right home.
    If dogs trust cant help there are other rescues that may be able to help - breed specific rescues and smaller organisations etc ( some of which only use foster homes once the dogs have been fully assesessed)

Moobli, rona, lorilu and 4 others like this.
  8. Maxine67

Maxine67 PetForums Member

And Dogs Trust have the experts to deal with her. They will work with her and make sure she is ready to be rehomed, and that any potential owners know what they are taking on - far better than some other "rescue centres" who just hand them over to anyone!

Moobli, Laney_Lemons, rona and 4 others like this.
  9. Laney_Lemons

Laney_Lemons PetForums Senior

I know of someone that is currently trying to surrender a blind collie to the DT that the breeder dumped at their house. The DT in Northern Ireland is at least a 6 week waiting list.

It is definitely worth the wait though as they are a fantastic charity

rona and leashedForLife like this.
  10. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

There is nothing wrong with not being able to keep the dog but if it is one that will be hard to rehome then putting it in a rescue is not the responsible choice.

11. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

How can we judge that when the OP has provided very little detail about the dog? We have no idea whether its an issue that can be worked with and sorted out or whether its one that might resolve away from the other family dog. The DT are the people who should judge how likely it is that the dog is re homable not people on a forum who have never met it and know nothing about it.

Dogloverlou, jamat and Laney_Lemons like this.
  12. Nataliee

Nataliee PetForums VIP

A few years back I was in the position where I had to give up a dog to dogs trust.
    It was organised through a neighbour who worked for the charity at the time.
    The dog was booked in for a temperament test as soon as the one became available, which I vaguely remember involved us taking a food bowl away from him, grooming him & seeing how he was with other dogs.
    Then they agreed to take him in a few days later I think.
    On the day we took him in we were met in the main reception, in the time we were sat there their phone rang at least once every 5 minutes with people wanting to give dogs up.

We filled out a questionnaire with regards to the dogs current lifestyle etc to help them find a suitable home.
    Then he was taken off us & we left.

It wasn't a pleasant experience having the dog taken away from us in the main reception in front of everyone but we didn't really deserve any compassion so I can understand.
    We found out via our neighbour a few days later that the dog had hurt himself trying to get out the kennel but were not told exactly what he'd done, he had to be moved into a different kennel set up. He was very destructive in the home so this was not surprising.
    We also heard when he got rehomed a few weeks later, that he'd gone to a couple with another dog & that he was doing ok. That was the last we were told as dogs trust wouldn't have heard from the new owners again unless there was an issue.
    We were fortunate to be able to find that bit of information via our neighbour but I imagine it's not the norm to hear anything once you leave the dog with them.

AlexPed2393, rona, Fleur and 3 others like this.
  13. alexanorris

Thank you all for your replies!

I gave them a call and they said they couldn't take her as she wouldn't be able to share a kennel with another dog, they didn't mention anything about putting her on the waiting list.

I've tried about 9 rescues in total and none can help.

14. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Google breed specific rescues...they maybe able to help.

Some rescues have fosterers all over the country, so use of the internet, and not looking too local can help immensely.

Moobli, lorilu and HarlequinCat like this.
  15. leashedForLife

QUOTE, alexanorris
    I gave [Dogs' Trust] a call and they said they couldn't take her as she wouldn't be able to share a kennel with another dog, they didn't mention anything about putting her on the waiting list.

/QUOTE
    then call again, & ask her to be ADDED TO the waiting list - also, ask approx How long is the wait?

16. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Sadly, the Dogs Trust can be very picky about what dogs they agree to take on.

It does depend on the individual centre.

17. leashedForLife

QUOTE, Nonnie:

... Dogs' Trust can be very picky about what dogs they agree to take on.
    It does depend on the individual centre.

/QUOTE
    Good tip! :)
    Alexa, phone a different DT centre, & this time if they say they're full up, ASK to be added to the waiting list - & about how long the wait might be.

18. HarlequinCat

HarlequinCat PetForums VIP

Hmm I'd follow @leashedForLife advice and try any other Dogs Trust kennels near you. They often have dogs that they recommend be the only dog in the household, which would be the case for your dog.

Hopefully a person who knows how to train dog aggressive dogs will find her and fall in love with her

19. alexanorris

I contacted another dogs trust centre and was told they don't take in dogs that dont get along with other dogs.

I've had a couple of rescues seem interested in helping and as soon as I mention her not being dog friendly they don't want to know.

I don't know where to go from here

20. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Is she currently insured? I only ask because it maybe you can get proper professional help from a behaviourist. This may help to put some perspective her not getting along with another dog..

Ok not all insurances cover this, but some do with a vet referral.

It will take some time and patience or just knowing why she behaves the why she does may not mean she's not actually dog aggressive or not liking other dogs per se...

Might be worth a try.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice