UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just been talking to someone who's dog has had an operation.
They are talking about washing the wound because it's is stained with iodine and doesn't look nice!!!
I would never think of doing that, too much risk of infection.
Would you?

·
Registered
9,572 Posts
I wouldnt, whats abit of iodine I would wait untill the wound was healed and make sure the dog was comftable

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
The iodine is there for a reason. They put it on for surgery so that the skin is cleansed from bacteria but they leave it on to prevent further bacteria making its way to the wound. If the vets thought the iodine wasn't useful after the operation they would wash it off whilst the dog is still under and the wound was still fresh so as not to disturb it once it had scabbed over.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Part of wound care is to keep the wound dry.
Wetting the area causes "strike through" where external bacteria is carried from the surface in the moisture and into the wound.
You only wash/flush if infection is already present ant this helps disperse the puss.

·
Registered
72 Posts
wounds providing they are clean and dry and not oozing should be left alone. By washing you could actually introduce infection as it may not be dried properly and is then a breeding ground for bacteria to grow.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.