Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Operation day..

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Angel, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

so glad to hear that she is doing so well. I bet it is a huge relief, best of luck with her rehabilitation :)

2. Oh - bless...Fingers crossed - she'll recover soon.

3. Angel

Angel PetForums Senior

Hi there well scruffy had her Op 5 days ago and she is doing really well.
    On saturday she had the dressing taken off and now has a lovely lampshade round her head so she does not get at the stitches.
    Over the weekend she also started using her leg abit, which is really good , i am so pleased. :D

4. Joanna

Joanna PetForums Newbie

Hi, I have just joined this website and hope your dog has recovered well! My name is Jo and my westie Tessie is gonna have to have the same op in a couple of weeks - I am so nervous!!!!!

5. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

thats such good news :)

6. Angel

Angel PetForums Senior

Look what the vet done to me!!!!!! :eek:

[​IMG]

Now the dressing is off, i have to wear this. Its not fair!!!!! :eek:
    [​IMG]

7. Angel

Angel PetForums Senior

Scruffy is doing really well. She still has to wear the lampshade for another week.
    She is getting around on 3 legs and using the other one occasionally. I am having to try and stop her from running and jumping indoors. The vet is amazed to hear that she is doing so well, but i still have to restrict her activities.

I am so pleased at her progress........... :D

8. lyndragon

lyndragon PetForums Newbie

what was wrong with her leg ?,she looks so sorry for herself ,hope she has a full recovery arr bless.

9. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

so glad she doing well great pics bless her :)

10. Joanna

Joanna PetForums Newbie

Michelle, scruffy is absolutely gorgeous!!! What a dear little thing she is - so pretty!!! Bless her little heart - the photos are heartbreaking!!! Tess is still alright one minute, then limping the next.....aarrgghh!!!!!

11. Angel

Angel PetForums Senior

thanks all.
    Jo im afraid that is how Tess will be. Fine one minuite and limping the next. That is why i was so indecisive about getting the Op done. But i am really glad i did as she is recovering really well and is so young, she has years ahead of her..........
    And by having it done i have given her a better quality of life. She could not live the rest of her life by having restricted exercise and not going to the park.......... :p

12. dad 2 a welshie

dad 2 a welshie PetForums Junior

Sorry i missed all this, But nice to see she is doing well.

13. Angel

Angel PetForums Senior

HI there
    Just to let you know that Scruffy is loving the fact that she can go out for walks again.
    She is practically trying to pull me down the road... :D

I am keeping to 5 mins and then going to work it up abit, but she is doing so well. Using her leg quite abit and sometimes just the 3 legs.....
    I am so pleased with her recovery......:D

14. jenjen

jenjen PetForums Junior

Hi Angel, I'm glad to hear scruffy is doing well.

Our little terrier x (Dinky) had the same problem in both of his back legs. We got him from a rescue centre and they didn't pick up on the fact he was limping (we'd spotted it and taken him to the vets within 2 days of having him) so it ended up costing us a fortune and poor Dinky had probably been in a lot of pain for most of his short life before coming to us.

Anyway, the second op was performed a year ago now, and both his back legs are good as new now. No signs of ever having had any problems.

I'm sure your scruffy will be running around again before you know it.

Here are some pics of Dinky after both his ops, sorry about the poor quality :eek:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Angel

Angel PetForums Senior

Aaw how sweet,
    Thanks for that. Yeah scruffy had her op 2 weeks ago today and she is running round the house, going up and down the stairs,( when im not looking).
    It is like she has had nothing done.
    The vet says she has to stay on the lead for 3 months. Its going to be very hard because she is just on the go all the time.
    Its awful though because if you are not on the ball then it can go undiagnosed.
    So glad you got your dog sorted, did you get any money towards it from the rescue centre you got him from?

16. jenjen

jenjen PetForums Junior

No, we did call them and ask if they could refund the £120 "donation" to put towards the operation, they just said no and if we couldn't afford the operation then we should give him back to them. They also had a go at us for not getting him insured straight away, but we had, just T&C's prevented us from making a valid claim. So, I won't mention any names, but we weren't very happy with a certain rescue centre! But the main thing is that Dinky is healthy and happy now.

It is hard to limit their exercise when they're on the go all the time, we had to walk Dinky on the lead for a while, and then "trot" with him on the lead for a while to build the strength back up in his legs before letting him run, but he seemed to heal so quickly that he just wanted to run around, like Scruffy. It was also hard because 3 months after having the first leg done, he had to have the other one done and it was back to square 1!

Poor little doggies, it's not nice for them, but we probably worry more about them than they do themselves!

17. jenjen

jenjen PetForums Junior

lol...I just found another picture of him after his first op and I had to post it...feeling very sorry for himself lol.

[​IMG]

18. Angel

Angel PetForums Senior

He is lovely, how old is he?
    Yeah your right we probably worry more than they do..........
    It was 2 weeks ago that scruffy had her op and i just cant believe how well she is doing. It is like she has not had anything done.........:)

19. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

thats is great now you have the trouble of trying to keep her from doing too much lol

20. jenjen

jenjen PetForums Junior

He's just over 2 years old now, we got him in october 2006 and he was estimated to be about 10 months old then, so we decided we'd celebrate his birthday on December 1st! Which is kind of weird because that's the date our new pup was born on lol

Scruffy's very cute, I hope she continues to recover well and has no problems in the future. I'm sure she'll be fine :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice