Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Opening a exotic pet boarding business?

Discussion in 'Animal Jobs & Working with Animals' started by 6TroublesomeFerrets, Jul 13, 2018.

1. 6TroublesomeFerrets

6TroublesomeFerrets PetForums Newbie

I’ve been thinking of opening my own boarding business, I love my animals and am shocked there aren’t many small pet or exotic boarding places around me, I own my own animals and have no worries with feeding animals whole prey if that are required. I was thinking of boarding some small animals to start with as let’s face it I’m lacked for space but can happily fit a few cages in, as I can always expand to accommodate the more exotic pets in the future.

I have a lot of experience with most small animals, as I own ferrets as well as rats, I don’t have much experience with keeping mice or gerbils but know enough for standard care - how much experience with each species do you think is needed?

I was thinking of charging based on the upkeep costs, or charging a certain amount to rent the cage while In care.

In the future I'd like to move somewhere bigger and run a boarding and rescue establishment. But that is a bit of a pipe dream at the moment.

2. Pads And Wags

Pads And Wags PetForums Newbie

I believe with boarding you will need to look into getting a license from your local council, on top of insurance & a DBS check.

When it comes to looking after a pet I like to have enough information for standard care and be aware of what to look out for if an animal is falling ill. In terms of pricing I would probably look at what other home boarders charge in the area and go from there :)

I would like to say though that it's great that there aren't many in your area for you as there will be a demand! Especially for the more exotic animals.

PastorRichardDavidson likes this.
  3. Once upon a gerbil (or 2)

Once upon a gerbil (or 2) PetForums Junior

Hello! That sounds like a lovely idea. I sometimes look after a few cages of gerbils when people go on holiday and I had to get permission from my local council to class this as an established 'business' more like a summer job :) Well if you need tips on gerbils, there is a forum which is very helpful (you have to get an account to be recognized in the main bit but you can go in as a guest if you scroll down a bit, but it's easier to make an account). It is literally called Gerbil Forum (proboards opperated)
    The main thing to look in gerbils is diarohea (which we all know what it looks like) and tumours which are easy to spot. Of course there are many other illnesses and you have to research these but it is a place to start.

Once :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice