Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

open crate ??

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by JennieJet, Jul 22, 2009.

1. JennieJet

JennieJet PetForums Member

Hi...my 4 month old lab has been crate trained since the beginning and loves it...( I only lock her in it at night and leave it open during the day )....just over the last week though she has been waking me up at about 5am with her "toilet" yelp and I go down and let her outside. But now she just lies outside and it takes ages for her to actually go to the loo and then when we come back in all she wants to do is then sleep outside her cage which I do ( as she will not settle back afterwards) ... I was wondering if maybe I should just leave her crate door open all night now ???? Her crate is in the kitchen....then maybe she can just have the roam of the kitchen and sleep where she likes as she seems to be just waking me up now to get out of her crate ??? is this a good idea do you think ?? thanks

2. mindymoo

mindymoo PetForums Member

I dont see why it wouldnt be ok to leave the crate open, when I get my pup I was gonna leave crate open at night or is this a really bad idea :confused: (she will be in kitchen

3. JennieJet

JennieJet PetForums Member

I was advised to keep the door shut at first so they are safe and they learn to hold themselves etc and she is totally fine in it and settles / sleeps well in it....but now she just seems to want to be out of it an d sleep on the floor ??

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice