Oops.....

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Traci Phillips, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Traci Phillips

Traci Phillips PetForums Newbie

I breed Beagles. I have a bitch I have had a planned breeding for that I am very excited about. I bred her last Saturday to my beautiful male. Well, this morning, the worse happened. She somehow escaped her crate and tied with a younger male in my home. I am devasted. What are the odds she has become pregnant from him? Or was she already successfully bred and I have very little to worry about?

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I doubt there is any way of knowing tbh

I suggest you look carefully at your management system of these dogs. I wouldn't be relying on a crate to keep them separate.

3. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

No, there is no way of knowing. You have a choice though - if this unplanned mating is with a too young, un health tested or related male then i would suggest the mismate jab to prevent the pregnancy from continuing. If you continue the pregnancy then it is unlikely that you will know who the stud is (which will effect how you register them) unless she clearly whelps exactly on the first due date (or you have the offspering tested).

If you are going to keep multi un neutered males then you will definitely need a better system for the three weeks of your females season though.

J

4. blakesmum

blakesmum PetForums Junior

Oops indeed. As has already been said, you won't know. If I were in your shoes, I would opt for the mismate injections, typically the bitch comes back into season quite quickly afterwards, and mate again with chosen stud, obviously having ensured such a mistake won't be able to reoccur

Burrowzig likes this.
  5. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou PetForums VIP

There is every chance the younger male could be the sire of any potential puppies. To KC register the resulting puppies you would need to prove the correct details and that would require DNA testing the litter which isn't cheap if you end up with a large litter.

6. SingingWhippet

SingingWhippet PetForums VIP

When a bitch is mated by two dogs in close succession it’s actually possible for both to be the sire of some of the resulting litter. It’s called a dual sired litter and is sometimes done intentionally for various different reasons.

If you’re in the UK I don’t actually know whether the KC register dual sired litters or, if they do, what the process is for registering them. If you’re in the US then both the AKC and UKC will register litters with multiple sites.

Obviously it could also be that only one or the other dog sire the entire litter.

Either way all the resulting pups would need to be DNA tested to establish which dog each was sired by.

Is there any potential issues with a mating between your bitch and the younger dog in terms of health test results or inbreeding coefficients? If so then I’d look into getting the mismate jab then trying again with the sire you actually want to use at a later date. If there are no such issues and you’re happy to have a litter which could end up being entirely sired by the younger dog then I’d look into whether you’d be able to register the litter then decide whether you want to go ahead or not.

7. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

In the UK you can register a duel sired litter with the KC b ut the entire litter will have to be DNA tested as will both sires. A friend bred a duel sired litter and the resulting pups were all DNA tested and the results were sent to the KC and the pups registered as being by the appropraite sire.

The other alternative is to abort the litter if the bitch is young enough to wait for another season if she is too old to wait for another mating then the only option is to let her have the litter and DNA test the pups if the younger sire is not health tested yet then the buyers of his pups will need to be told this fact.

8. SpicyBulldog

SpicyBulldog PetForums Senior

You probably won't know for sure, only certain instances would allow you to know who sired a litter by how the pups look. Your best bet is to DNA test the possible parents and litter. That is what I would do.