Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

oops Cat/kitten on food counter

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Dulally, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Dulally

Dulally PetForums Junior

I've asked for help in the general chat section soz: we have an 8 mo MC
    who has just started to jump onto our food counter. He even had the audacity to do it when I was there, cutting up chicken breast. I've hissed, growled and stamped my foot, it doesn't deter him. His breeder warned us he was bold 5 months ago.

I'm sure you've all experienced the prob. Can anyone give me a solution please? The last episode was right after he'd jumped into his litter box :rolleyes: Fingers crossed your experienced replies will flood in :001_smile:

Thanks in advance
    Dulally

2. Cloudygirl

Cloudygirl PetForums VIP

if you get an answer I'd love to know. My shy boy does it all the time when I'm feeding him. He's a bugger.

No amount of no etc works.

I just keep antibac handy.

3. dougal22

dougal22 Banned

I'm afraid there is no solution! Cats will always go where you don't want them to. It's in their nature :)

If you do find a solution, please post an update.

4. Milly Cat

Milly Cat PetForums Member

You might be able to stop your cat by spraying them with a water pistol every time they jump up. This worked with our cat for a while and just showing her the gun was enough for her to get down, but it didn't stop her getting up in the first place and sometimes she'd brazen it out until she'd be sprayed in the face. She won in the end though as the water pistol gave up the ghost before she got out of the habit :rolleyes: I'm resigned to just lifting her off as soon as she jumps up, or distracting her before she jumps up at best :mad: Would definitely like to hear any failsafe answers to this problem!

5. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Please dont spray your cat with water,He is only being a cat.Cats can jump therefore they do,Learn to live with it and just wipe down surfaces before use.It is much less stressful for everyone :D

6. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

I would say the same thing. If Soots wasn't arthritic in his back legs he still would. He likes to sit there and look, only goes for food if you turn your back ;) I still actually lift him up and pop him on there as he has done it all his life and he likes sitting there as it makes him feel included being able to see what we are doing :)

7. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Och, could you not have asked an easier question like.... How can you stop the tide coming in or How can you train a man to think AND breathe at the same time???? But no, YOU had to ask an impossible one...... :D :D

Cats will jump and the kitchen work-tops are just there for practise. We get the sun in the kitchen in the mornings and in the summer I often come downstairs to find Oscar stretched out sunning himself. When I tell him to get down he just looks at me as if to say "You're talking but I ain't listening :prrr:......" :angry:

If I catch Merson up there and tell him to get down, he will do so..... AFTER he has run the entire length of the darn thing!!!!!!! :blink:

Cats like height, cats LURVE work-tops. We slaves just need to live with it. :huh:

8. Lulus mum

Lulus mum PetForums VIP

Hi
    Agree with all other posts

Firstly -he is a cat-he doesnt understand what a food counter is-to him its just somewhere to jump on - he smells the food and jumps up-perfectly natural.
    Cant really understand the warning made by the breeder that he was"bold" either-he is being a cat and no amount of growling hissing or foot stamping will mean anything to him -as he is a cat.
    Agree with Buffie-just wipe down surfaces before use
    We have 3 cats- 2 are 14 and 1 is 6,have had all from being kittens,so have had all this myself -
    Please just try and enjoy him -he will give you so much pleasure now and in years to come
    Maureen

9. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

Oh that's so sweet :eek: You lovely person :eek: I've repped you for it

Em
    xx

Edit - I've given out too much rep in the last 24 hours, I've put a post it note on my computer to remind me to rep you as soon as I can :) xx

10. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

Aww thanks! :)
    He is my little baby and otherwise he keeps getting under our feet trying to see what we are doing, much prefer him sitting up there looking happy :)

Ems xx

11. Jenny1966

Jenny1966 PetForums VIP

The one place in my flat that Molly hasn't gained access too!! 7 months old and not even attempted it ...... She does sit there looking up, but I think her legs are just too little for her :)

Will probably get home now and she will be sitting there bold as brass :lol:

12. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Merson was almost 2 yo before he did this.

When I moved to my new (current) house, Merson had to scale 6ft fences to get out of the garden. THAT is when it dawned on him that if he could jump up THAT high, then the kitchen worktop was a piece of p___!!!!! :mad:

13. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

Heehee!
    Franklin(MC) used to be able to clear over six foot from sitting position! It was bonkers to see!
    Sooty just likes climbing. We used to have wiring on our balcony (we were first floor) to stop the kitties getting out. Nope, Franklin would jump over it and Sooty would climb up one side then down head first the other. We eventually took it down and put a ramp up to the balcony for them - no point in trying to keep that lot in.

14. Jenny1966

Jenny1966 PetForums VIP

:) so what you are telling me is to stop being so smug, because she will get there eventually :lol: she is a crap climber at the moment, had to take the top level of the cat scratcher away cos when she finally got up there she was so scared she couldnt get down again! ..... Or was it cos OH was a right wuss and didnt like seeing her up there .... hmmmm :)

MoggyBaby likes this.
  15. GreyHare

GreyHare Guest

Monty takes it one step further and jumps up on top of the wall cupboards and my husband got all worried and concerned and was on a chair helping him down but he can get down on his own and only makes a fuss and meows up there when my husband is home ;)

16. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

Monty has your OH wrapped around his furry paw ;)

17. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

I did read one idea somewhere, empty tin cans on the worktops so when the cat jumped up they would topple over & make a noise to deter the cat but :rolleyes: I would imangine with your cat being an MC he would just keep jumping up so he could make the noise happen :lol:

Just keep lifting him off & tell him NO they do learn :D well some of them do :rolleyes: :lol:

18. Marley boy

Marley boy PetForums VIP

em you haven't sent me any rep :sad:

19. my bengal boys

my bengal boys PetForums Newbie

Oh ive same prob with one of my boys if i say Off and put him down 10 times he jumps back up !! im forever wiping my worktops so i just keep Antibac wipes on the side ... BLESS HIM.

20. Milly Cat

Milly Cat PetForums Member

If the worst thing in the world that ever happened to a cat was a light spraying with a water pistol from a Christmas cracker then the world would be a better place :) Milly gets more wet going out in the rain but it was enough to put her off getting on the surfaces.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice