UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 187 Posts

·
Lady of The Terrors.
4,250 Posts
S***!

Oh God poor dog :-(

I hope he can eat his food again.

The man says at first he thought his dog was being attacked by a SBT, that stood out to me. Maybe they have trouble with the breed there.

Poor little Jack...

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Oh god, that's horrific. Poor, poor dog, and his owner, I can only imagine what he's going through. I really hope the little JR can learn to swallow and live a somewhat normal life.

Doesn't sound as though the hawk's owner appreciated the devastation this will have on the dog and his owner. I wouldn't want the bird put to sleep though - just better controlled, probably with a different owner.

·
Banned
9,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wouldn't want the bird put to sleep though - just better controlled, probably with a different owner.
It doesn't say where it happened or if either of them had permission to be there.
I had the same thing happen once on private land that I had permission to be on, there was no way I was going to take responsibility

·
Registered
10,727 Posts
This is really bad people should not have to walk their pets in fear of being attacked by a bop :mad: just the same as they should not have to walk in fear of another dog attack.

That poor dog and the owner of the bird doesnt give a dam by sounds of it not even about his own bird..just arrogant.

·
Registered
17,498 Posts
Yikes. Strange how the bird owner seems to say he will have his bird put down on the guys say so if he says so etc.

It is an awful incident I don't really know what to make of it :nonod:

Birds of prey do make me very nervous. My godmum's OH has had red tails, snowy owls, an eagle owl and did have a harris hawk as well.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Bit more than an oops IMO, that's horrific. :mad:

Wouldn't want the bird pts but would certainly want the owner to take some responsibilty. Potentially criminal damage due to recklessness if nothing else.

peed me off how they managed to sneak an SBT reference even thought the incident was totally unrelated :rolleyes:

Very sad :(

·
Registered
5,724 Posts
Tragic. I fly a Harris Hawk most Monday afternoons and we're always alert to see what's about. So far, she's caught rabbits and pigeons. We fly on private land though, but I'd be mortified if an accident did happen and a dog escaped from somewhere and "got in the way". Don't know how I'd feel.:(

·
Registered
12,925 Posts
I was concerned whilst in Wales about the Red Kites, Percy would be easy prey to a kite.

If I was aware of a Bird Of Prey whilst out walking the dogs, I would keep them very close and or change the walk direction.

My thoughts are with all those concerned

·
Registered
5,512 Posts
I feel sorry for both the owner of the JRT and the bird.

I do see where the JRT's owner is coming from.

The bird owner seems to be taking responsibility e.g. paying for bills, taking them to the vets though.

I can see both sides, I am not too sure how I would feel in that situation.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Rather a shocking incident not the sort of thing I've really heard of or thought about. I feel so sorry for the dog and its owner. The hawk guy doesn't seem too worried if he has to put the bird down. Funny one this, I suppose its the birds natural instinct but why fly it so close to a place known for dog walks

·
Banned
9,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
why fly it so close to a place known for dog walks
I fly mine in a popular dog walking area. It also happens to be private land where no one but me has permission to be on. If a dog gets nailed it would be unfortunate but the blame would be entirely with the dog owner

G

·
I would be terrified to walk a small dog in any of the fields around here.
We have hawks, kites, eagles and buzzards. Small quickly moving animal + open field spells disaster to me.

Sad story for all involved :(

·
Registered
8,792 Posts
Where I live we are always careful, there is the most awesome Bald Eagle that flies over my house once in awhile. I am always in awe of its beauty. We also have 2 Great Horned Owls that live in the Hamlet.

·
Registered
20,334 Posts
I fly mine in a popular dog walking area. It also happens to be private land where no one but me has permission to be on. If a dog gets nailed it would be unfortunate but the blame would be entirely with the dog owner
You are a charmer. How about taking responsibility for your birds.

The thing that stuck out with that story is that the bloke is considering keeping that poor dog alive in that state. How can that be fair. It will never be able to eat or drink normally. It wont be able to run around in case it overheats, it wont be allowed near a fire, or out in the sun. Horrible and selfish to keep it going.

·
Sois pas chiant, chéri.
12,133 Posts
I'm surprised you say that as a dog owner. :( There are always threads about out of control dogs whose owners should know better: are bird owners somehow exempt? Don't you have public liabilty?

If I'm riding and have an accident involving a car or private property, then I have insurance to cover that. I would take responsibility for any damage caused because it's my animal. Don't care if there's a dog etc there that hasn't got permission to be there. I find that a bit of an unfortunate attitude, frankly.

·
Banned
9,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You are a charmer. How about taking responsibility for your birds.
I do take responsibility for my birds, I don't take responsibility for people walking dogs where they aren't supposed to be. If one of my birds strayed onto your property and your dogs killed it would you take responsibility

I'm surprised you say that as a dog owner. :( There are always threads about out of control dogs whose owners should know better:
are bird owners somehow exempt?
Yes they are, the same as cat owners are

Don't you have public liabilty?
Yes I do

If I'm riding and have an accident involving a car or private property, then I have insurance to cover that. I would take responsibility for any damage caused because it's my animal. Don't care if there's a dog etc there that hasn't got permission to be there. I find that a bit of an unfortunate attitude, frankly.
So if you were on land that you pay to use and a dog that wasn't supposed to be there got hurt by your horse you would take responsibility for the accident. That's very generous of you but I believe in people taking responsibility for their own actions

1 - 20 of 187 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.