Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Oooooh *showoff*

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by AmberNero, Oct 20, 2012.

1. AmberNero

AmberNero PetForums VIP

Pixie, the girl who 'attacked' the cat in one of her homes and 'would have killed it' lounging with my two girlies. Pixie whose last owners were told (by a vet!) she would have to go live on a farm because she entered a 'red zone' and could not be stopped from hunting and could never live as a normal pet (!).

She's now got to the stage where she and both cats will 'boop' their noses when politely sniffing each other :001_wub: They'll never be snugglers, but this is close enough for me!

Patience, training, patience, and patience! :thumbup:

I'm also impressed that the three smallest animals in the house have stolen the sofa so efficiently :lol:

Attached Files:

2. Thorne

Thorne PetForums VIP

Lovely to see :D

3. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

Aw she's looking at the black cat and the terrier naughtiness is thinking, 'if you run I'm on it' but the cat behind her is looking at Pix thinking 'it's OK mate I'm watching your back cos us felines gotta stick together when there's a rampant predator in the house' ;)

Well done you for managing such a ferocious beastie :D

4. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Lovely to see :D:D.

5. househens

househens Guest

So, floor for you again, eh?

6. Lola71

Lola71 PetForums Senior

Great pic...Molly adores my cat and wants to play with her but the cat is completely disinterested. If the cat is out in the garden Molly will bounce round her in circles play bowing and wagging her tail, and will go and get her toys and drop them in front of her, all the while the cat sits there swishing her tail with a superior look on her face....poor Molly.

7. rona

rona Still missing my boys

What was the trick or tricks that worked?

8. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Yes - please share how you managed it!!!

9. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

awww, they look very relaxed together!:)
    I wonder if Pixie is like my Adam then? Its almost like cats and running cats are 2 seperate species to him! The first you can happily potter round the house with and share a lap with the second must be destroyed before they take over the world!!:rolleyes:
    Thankfully my downstairs cats are sensibly enough to stop running when they feel a tiny, weedy Chihuahua biting at their bottoms...:D

10. Luz

Luz PetForums VIP

Yes do share! I've just about got my Chorkie not to chase Wally (the cat). It's only when he runs. Otherwise she ignores him. Abi (7 months) still thinks he wants to play so I am on tenterhooks when he's in the kitchen. New pup was brought up around cats so hasn't been too interested so far. Poor Wally spends most of his time in the conservatory and just 'visits' the rest of downstairs. But I dream of the day when they can all share the couch.
    Edited to add- Wally is the size of all 3 of my dogs put together!

11. AmberNero

AmberNero PetForums VIP

No trick :lol: just consistancy. It was much, much easier cat training Pixie than it was training Amber. Amber took 4 months, Pixie took maybe a month. I'm very lucky as I am at home most of the time and could take the time to do it.

With Pixie it was getting her used to the cats. For the first week I think it was- they didn't meet, the cats stayed upstairs of their own choice and Pixie sniffed through the bars of the babygate of their room. When she made keen noises we were very firm, said No firmly and quite loudly, and put her outside. This stage I think got rid of the very worst of her 'must get it NAAAOOOWWW' approach to cats. I mean, she had grown up with a cat so I knew she could do it- that was why Amber took so much longer, because she was not used to them at all apart from as lunch.

I started working in the room, and let her in a few times. If she snuffled around the floor, she was allowed in, if she went manic and tried to climb everything to get to the cats, she was straight out with a firm No.

The trickiest bit was the cats OUT of the cat room, where they were- in her mind- fair game. The best thing was that she is really clever and wants to learn so I put Tig, my calmest girl, in a cat box in the corner. I put Pix on a lead and secured her so she couldn't reach the box and we started trick training. I used distraction and treats mostly, if she started getting too interested in the cat box I would use a squeaky toy to get her attention, then resume trick training. We did about 10 minutes at a time, and I gradually moved Tig closer in the box.

The next step was cats roaming freely. At this stage Pix was used to the cats, so as long as they were staying still, she ignored them.

Bring on the final stage... not chasing moving cats, and this was just being really, really bloody vigilant. You spot the signs and say NO before any chasing- praise lots for listening, and if that doesn't work then the cats are quick enough to get to their room safely, and Pix went outside for time out.

The helpful thing is the cats getting used to her as well- now they know she is not a threat they parade around her quite happily- and she has started to try to get them to play, she has a *thing* about Tig, she'll play bow and lie in front of her and zombie-crawl forward with her legs dragging along behind her. If she gets too close Tig will bop her on the nose (warning bop- no claws) and she'll leave her alone.

If Pix is very excited, after a bath for instance, she will still chase the cats, but not with any intent, and only to the bottom of the stairs. Tig has a safe place under the stool in the living room which Pixie knows not to go near as well.

Sooooo distraction, treats, trick training, and patience and luck, really :lol:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice