Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

ooooh dear....

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by sequeena, Aug 14, 2009.

1. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Every night around half past 11 I take my 2 girls out onto the green next to my house for their last pee. The reason being my garden has no grass whatsoever and they prefer grass to go to the toilet.

Well Sky is in her season at the minute. She's almost finished bleeding so she's about halfway through. I took them outside, didn't notice anything and just as I went to open my garden gate I noticed this small, sausage looking dog laying outside my gate!!

Now this dog is a notorious little bugger. He's not homeless as he's lovely looking, he's not nasty either but he's a devil for following the 'ladies'. I can't believe he's caught onto Sky's scent and the OH had to shoo him away whilst I took Sky out on the lead (which I have never had to do so she wasn't happy).

I'm quite worried now though! My garden is dog proof, trust me. I have a collie cross who used to be the most amazing escape artist but we have firmly put an end to that.

Anyone got any ideas? Should I just ignore the dog or shoo it away everytime I see it?

:confused:

2. ninja

ninja PetForums VIP

i take it he is a complete 'male'

he is bound to be following her but should give up once she has finished her season :)

3. bird

bird PetForums VIP

Just keep shoeing. nowt you can do unless you get her done in a couple of months when her blood is back to normal after a season. hes just a randy little bugger. :D

4. Captain.Charisma

Captain.Charisma PetForums VIP

LMAO @ randy little bugger :p

Cant you just make sure you keep an closer eye out for your dog, while shes in season. Because if doesnt escape then your problem is solved. I doubt shooing a the male dog away will do much, it will always come back :p

5. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I should hope so it's quite freaky knowing he's out there! :p

I wish he would go be randy elsewhere lol

Err I do keep a close eye on her thanks, I was just wondering what else I could do :rolleyes:

My poor girl is suffering at the minute as it is. I have to take her out early morning and late at night and half the time she doesn't get to go off the lead! She can't pee or go poo in peace either because I stay out the back with her though I know there is no chance of her getting caught

6. Captain.Charisma

Captain.Charisma PetForums VIP

Nooooo i didnt mean it like that, as i know you take great care of your dogs. I was just saying its always easyer control the actions of your own dog, than a randy male that isnt :p

7. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Oh Sky wasn't bothered by this dog, Candy was the one who was trying to get at him :laugh: I expected her to be more of a whore now she's in season but she's just got more grumpy and tired :eek:ut:

I can't wait for this season to be done with. I'm still in two minds whether to let her mature or get her done between this season and her second :confused:

8. ninja

ninja PetForums VIP

how old is she? i probaly know but really cant think at the mo :eek:hmy:

9. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

ooops! but a chastity belt would soon sort that out...LOL

10. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

She's 10 months in about 3 weeks lol

Haha I knew I was missing something!!

11. ninja

ninja PetForums VIP

:confused: what you mean a plaster is no good :eek: lol

see i knew that :smilewinkgrin:,
    looks like you are gonna have to go through it again then :)

12. Dundee

Dundee Banned

Well, it sounds as though she's at her most fertile and really shouldn't be out at all. I do feel sorry for dog owners at this time. It is only natural that they will follow a bitch's scent and many normally well mannered dogs have been ruined around the ladies because of meeting in season bitches while out. I don't know if you have to cross a road to get where you are taking her, but what if a dog following you were to cross while a car was coming? It doesn't really bare thinking about. It is such a short time that they are in season, can you not keep her in your garden for the remainder, particularly as she is now at her most fertile time? I would recommend you get her spayed too.

13. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I don't know if I will it's really not fair on her.

Like I said, the only time she goes out is when no-one is around. The green is right next to my house and my street is so small you'd go straight past it without realising it's there - it's very quiet.

I drive her to where I'm walking her during the day and she only goes out onto the green for her last pee at night, I can't be driving her here there and everywhere that late at night.

My garden is quite small, I really feel for her when she's out there. She hasn't been able to do anything really for the past few weeks.

Yeah I'm thinking about getting her spayed but with all the info out there I'm not sure whether to hold off or not.

14. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Yep I do agree with you Dundee, also not a lot of dog owners know that if you own an entire dog who gets the scent, there could be a serious dog fight between males :(

Didn't occur to me until I had one who was iffy around other male dogs, and then realised an in-season bitch could cause a bloodbath!

15. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

This is what I'm worried about. I've tried my hardest to stop males from catching her scent and I had done so well up to now.

She refuses to pee in the garden as there is no grass and I can't drive her to where I usually take her. It would be too dangerous at night as I have no clue who is about.

I feel terrible now :(

16. ninja

ninja PetForums VIP

TBH i really dont think she is old enough to be spade yet, x

17. TabbyRoad

TabbyRoad Banned

I know it's extremely controvertial but when our dog was in season we did not take her out during the day. Not once. We took her out at 4am :rolleyes: We had thought she could go out on lead walks during the day but our vet and our walker said it was best to keep her in especially considering the area we live in. We have a park right at the back of our house, I mean LITERALLY and even when she was in the garden we noticed there was a lot of male dogs hanging around at the end of the garden making some rather randy sounds! There is also a huge staffie population near us and as much as I didn't want her becoming pregnant I especially didn't want Staffadoodles.

I had no idea that a male dog could have his way with her even if she was on her lead. It makes sense of course but I had to be told before the penny dropped.

She stayed in for 18 days and as heartbreaking as it was to see her missing her little doggy friends it was worth it. She's now neutered as planned and we can all breath a sigh of relief.

18. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I don't take her out anywhere near where I live during the day. She's out at 7am in a very secluded area, it's sort of a meadow thing. She stays in then all day and I take her out last thing at night. I should probably keep her in but it breaks my heart. She whines to go out and as she's such a big dog I feel terrible cooping her up in my garden when she's used to 4 walks a day.

Luckily there are no male dogs in my street or I'm sure I would have the same problem as you had :eek:

19. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

you would be sooo surprised at how many people think it's "OK" to take out a bitch in season. When you take on board that an entire male can smell an in season bitch from a mile away it starts to make sense.

The day before Merlin got his nuts removed there was an in-season bitch in the park, she was a very nice red foxy-looking welsh collie. I was almost starting to imagine the lovely offspring. The owner seemed more than lax and lackadaisical. In my head I was going "Get on my son!!!" But I am relieved to say he took no notice. There are too many pups in the world already and I bet a load of them are started by silly people taking their in-season girls out.

I grew up with girlydogs and taking them out in season was a real no-no. Lets face it, if you can't cope with keeping them in, get them spayed.

20. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I find that quite offensive thanks :rolleyes:

I didn't ask for judgement, I asked for advice. If you can't offer anything then please just leave the thread.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice