Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Only a question about Brit cats.

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Sophie17, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Sophie17

Sophie17 PetForums Member

My friend on the Facebook complained about that her Brit shorthair cat doesn't sleep at nights. She sleeps usually daytime but at nights she is playing for hours. her cat is approx. 1,5 - 2 years old and neutered. Is this common attitude at Brit cats?

2. LostSoul

LostSoul PetForums VIP

i dont have a brtish shorthair but i know people who do and they don't really act any different to any other breed of cat. I guess the cat just wants to play, she's young and has a lot of energy to use, cats have no concept of time, when it's play time it's play time,
    Maybe if they played with her and wore her out before going to bed she would sleep at night time.

3. Sophie17

Sophie17 PetForums Member

Thank for the idea. I will recommend it.

4. BritishBilbo

BritishBilbo I work with cats + I live with cats. I like cats.

My three (2 are Brits) like to have a mad run around before bed and then sleep most the night, it's like they know that bedtime is for sleeping. As above id try to tire them out just before bedtime, or put down toys in a seperate room for the cat to entertain themselves for a while.

leashedForLife and Sophie17 like this.
  5. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

British Shorthair are cats, and cats are naturally active at dawn & dusk. There's a rather lovely word for that, crepuscular.

6. Tezwik

Tezwik PetForums Senior

I have a BSH and hes no different to any other cat. If he sleeps all day he wants to play all night, so I usually only let him nap for a few hours a day lol but generally he brings himself to bed around 11pm and wakes me around 6am, I thought he was out basking in the sunshine today but he had sneaked back in and was asleep on my sons bed so I think he's going to be a pest tonight plus my 17 year old girl is on my bed and he loves to torment her lol

Sophie17 likes this.
  7. Theresa kelly

Theresa kelly PetForums Member

I too have a Bsh...he naps in the day but does sleep at night...normally waking the house at around 5am!

Sophie17 likes this.
  8. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

We have 3 British and they always come to bed when we do no matter what time that is but they wake up a round 5 am in the spring and summer. Winter they wake up later..

Sophie17 and Bilai like this.
  9. Persiancatcorner

Persiancatcorner PetForums Newbie

I have both a British Shorthair kitten (6 months old) and a Persian cat who's nearly 2 years old and it's interesting to compare the two breeds, I would say the BSH is generally more active between 11pm-1am but I'm not sure if that's because he's still a kitten.

As others have said most cats tend to be more active at night time as it's in the cat's nature. One of the other reasons could be if she's left alone all day whilst your friend is at work, she will sleep more and then have even more energy at night time, I've noticed this myself with my BSH.

Sophie17 likes this.
  10. Cookieandme

Cookieandme PetForums VIP

I can vouch for this, which is why Ike was tearing round the house this morning at 05.30, I stayed in bed until 06.15 and then had to get up, he was making such a commotion.

They have been out in the garden thus morning and guess what both Cookie and Ike have just gone for a nap.

Sophie17 likes this.
  11. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Of course. They are naturally active when the majority of their natural prey - small rodents - are active.

Sophie17 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice