Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Online training videos and expectations

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Lizz1155, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Lizz1155

Lizz1155 PetForums VIP

When you watch dog-training video tutorials on youtube - kikopup, donna hill etc... are the dogs being trained in real time, in one session, or is the dog already trained to do the correct behaviour but is being used to demonstrate the training process?

How long should it take to train a new (simple) behavior? I took me around a week to teach "paw", but from these videos I'm getting the impression that I'm being a bit slow.

2. Canine K9

Canine K9 Bailey Woof

It depends I think most of the time the dog know`s the behavior already and is just demonstrating.
    Sometimes the dog is doing it from scratch.

One week is not too slow. Don`t Forget its about getting a strong, reliable behavior on cue. Its not a race!

3. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

All dogs are different. Vastly different. One dog may catch on very, very quickly another may be slower to do so. An experienced trainer will be able to teach a dog much faster than a novice one in general too so that will come into it. A certain behaviour may be easier for one dog than for another too. I can very quickly teach Spen to pick up an item but teaching say a Beagle to do it may be much more difficult, it's kind of a default behaviour for Spen to pick things up.

And it depends what you mean by teach. I can usually teach Spencer to offer a rough version of a new trick in one session but to refine it, proof it and get it reliably on cue with distractions...well we're talking a hell of a lot longer.

4. JessIncaFCR

JessIncaFCR PetForums VIP

No dog is the same :) It totally depends on the dog and the behaviour/trick :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice