Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Online pet pharmacy

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by DollyGirl08, Sep 5, 2013.

1. DollyGirl08

DollyGirl08 PetForums VIP

Which one would you recommend?

I need to buy some Frontline for the dogs/cats but don't fancy paying vet/shop prices and I know online if often cheaper.

Also would you recommend something other than Frontline as a flea treatment?

2. button50

button50 PetForums VIP

3. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

I usually use www.vet-medic.com and found them very good, postage is free, unless you want the stuff urgently in which case you can pay the extra for first class.

4. DollyGirl08

thanks, I have to buy separate packs too as I have Sid under 2kg, Skye is about 5kg and the labs are 30kg, then the cats too. Would cost loads from the vet.

5. SixStar

SixStar Banned

VetUK is my favourite - wide selection, good prices, reliable service, prompt delivery.

I personally wouldn't use any chemical spot on treatments - not when garlic is all natural and works just as well.

6. DollyGirl08

I agree and don't like to use chemicals. But I have tried everything!

I made a lemon water recipe I found on the internet, didn't work. Doused them all and the house in DE. Didn't work. Have got some Billy No Mates, but that can take up to 6 weeks to work, and I am moving house in 2 weeks and don't want to take any little critters with me lol.

So I am going to Spot On them all and then keep with the Billy No Mates as a preventative.

7. button50

button50 PetForums VIP

Out of interest how much garlic would do the job? I do put garlic in Bubba's livercake.

8. SixStar

SixStar Banned

I've never tried lemon water or DE, but garlic works a treat for us - given in food daily - can't remember the last time I used a spot-on, but I've got five dogs and we live out in the sticks, lots of wildlife and livestock about - and never had fleas!

Seems to work for some yet not for others :)

9. DollyGirl08

I usually use garlic capsules but have become slack with it, as Sidney won't eat it, and they won't take raw no matter how much I try and hide it lol.

Blimmin' fleas, they are doing my nut in now. I feel riffy all the time.

10. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

I'm pretty sure Dorwest Herbs do a garlic flea spray as well as the tablets.

11. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Worked for a friend of mine on two dogs over 20 years, then suddenly on the second dog it stopped working :confused: Not sure if some of the fleas have come to like it :D

12. BeauNoir

BeauNoir PetForums VIP

I use VetUK or MedicAnimal personally. :)

13. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

I read an article a good while ago by Richard Allport on natural things that you can use to help with fleas. Might be worth a try and some use.

For Garlic the following was advised.

Garlic, either as fresh or raw garlic.
    Small dogs - 1 tablet or quarter a clove of garlic twice daily

Medium dogs - 2 tablets or half a clove of garlic twice daily

Large Dogs - 3 tablets or three quarters of a clove of garlic twice daily

Giant Dogs - 4 tablets or one garlic clove twice daily.

IMPORTANT NOTE: because it is possible (although difficult) to overdose with garlic, it is recommended to give the above regimes with breaks, one week on and one week off, is a safe dosage.

Dorwest do garlic tablets specifically for animal use dose wise.

Garlic Tablets for Dogs and Cats - Dorwest
    Garlic Tablets for Dogs and Cats - Dorwest

Other suggestions were.

Homeopathic medicine Sulphur 200c
    Give one single tablet each week, DO NOT GIVE GARLIC ON THE DAY THIS IS GIVEN. Give tablets away from food by mouth directly and avoid touching tablets, for pets that are difficult tablet may be mixed with bland food butter or white fish but at least 1/2 hour away from a main meal.

Sol Dog flea repel
    This is a natural spot on based on Neem oil and Cedar wood atlas oil, apply a little on the base of the neck and base of the spine once a month.

There was also a natural flea detterant spray you can make using essential oils.

Essential Oil Natural flea repellant
    Add three drops each of lemon, rosemary and lavender essential oils to 150ml of water. Comb the mixture through the coat daily during flea season late spring to early autumn.

Don't know if that's any help?

14. Cheryl89

Another vote for VetUK here - love that site! :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice