Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Online Pet Drug Supply Question?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Davsl, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Davsl

Davsl PetForums Newbie

My cat has CRF and has been prescibed Fortekor by my local vet. When I posted a thread on here about the illness a member sent me a link to an online pet drug supplier. The price of the Fortekor tablets that I require are 50% cheaper than my vet supplies these for. The only problem being that I cannot buy these drugs without a prescription from my vet. It states on the website that vets are obliged to provide a prescription. I just wondered is this true has anybody any experience? May they charge me for a prescription? I have no real loyalty to my vet as the prices are extortionate. Thanks for any help.

2. ambercat

ambercat PetForums Senior

Yes your vet must supply you with a prescription if you want want one, and yes, they are allowed to charge for that now - charges vary from vet to vet. HTH :)

3. pollyandus

pollyandus PetForums Newbie

My dog was treated for an enlarged heart at Vets 4 Pets, they actually asked me if I wanted the drugs or just a prescription and didn't charge anything for the prescription. Only stipulation was that I brought her back every 3 months for a checkup which wasn't expensive and was necessary anyway.

4. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

You should definately ask for a prescription.

Vets are allowed to charge for this but most don't and even if they did you are likely to save money anyway if buying the drugs long term.

I buy most of my pet medication online as my vet is very good and gives me a prescription free of charge.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice