Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Ongoing paw infection

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Jaf, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Jaf

Jaf PetForums VIP

Hi. Lori is 5. She is a lovely naughty tortie.

A couple of years ago she got skin allergy dermatitis on her ears and she has had this twice more, in spring when the sun is surprisingly hot. Sun protection cream works well (thick, nasty stuff).

November last year she got an infection in 3 paws/ toes and both ears, and scabs on her back/ tummy. Cleared up with antibiotics and creams.

Now she has an infection on her front left paw, in between the toes, it's green pus. This spreads to her right ear, inside, and patches of scabs on her tummy, nose, chin and back. She's been on antibiotics for 40 days! Every time the antibiotics are stopped the infection is back in 2 days. It then takes 10 days to get better again.

She's on Cefalexin antibiotics, Positon unguento skin cream, and Canaural ear drops.

I have been to both of my vets today. She has had a test for FeLV and FIV, results tomorrow. First vet thinks maybe amputation of first part of toes (NO). Second vet says no antibiotics for 10 days before a swab can be sent to the lab (NO - she would get very ill).

I'm starting to think Sun allergy dermatitis is actually Food allergy dermatitis which contributes to poor healing.

Help please.

2. Ceiling Kitty

Ceiling Kitty Hides away from much through humour...

Pemphigus?

3. Jaf

Jaf PetForums VIP

Thanks @Ceiling Kitty

Eerk nasty. I shall mention it tomorrow when I speak to first vet again. He does seem to now think that there's a problem behind it rather than the wrong antibiotics. I realise too that the first attack she was given steroids too to help with the itching, and she recovered much quicker.

Does it sound right that antibiotics would need to be withheld for 10 days before taking a sample for testing? I don't get that at all.

Don't suppose you fancy a Busmans Holiday to sunny Spain? 22C today.

Ps. My Geri is sooo happy and fluffy and Choccy healing nicely, thanks to your advice (teeth removal and gingivitis).

4. Ceiling Kitty

Ceiling Kitty Hides away from much through humour...

Ideally, if sending a swab off for bacterial culture, you would withdraw antibiotics for a period first (ten days sounds reasonable). The reasoning behind this is because the antibiotics will affect what bacteria are present in the sample and could alter the results.

That said, if a resistant bacterium is suspected and withdrawing antibiotics would result in problems, taking a swab while on antibiotics may still be appropriate; one to discuss further with the vet.

This does sound like a horrible situation. I mentioned pemphigus just because it came into my mind when you mentioned the paws and ears being affected - classic places for the lesions - although of course it can and does affect the entire body. Interesting that it responds to antibiotics however; this would count against it being pemphigus, or maybe a secondary bacterial infection is being controlled.

I hope you get to the bottom of it, and grand news about Geri and Choccy! :)

5. Jaf

Jaf PetForums VIP

Thanks for explaining @Ceiling Kitty

OK well back from vets. FeLV negative but FIV positive. He says this is why her immune system is not coping as well as it should. Have been prescribed Vetaflox, which is ordered.

I hope that the FIV is a false positive, as it was with her sister Geri. I will retest in a few weeks.

Just hope the new antibiotics work. Lori is asleep on my lap.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice