One thing that worries me about flying

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Colliebarmy, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Colliebarmy

Colliebarmy PetForums VIP

Who decided airport departures should be called the TERMINAL?

cbcdesign, Wilmer, Babyshoes and 2 others like this.
  2. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

Oh great, thanks. Another thing for me to worry about so I can hypnotise myself just to get to the airport.

:(

:mad:

3. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Probably because its one of many words that have multiple meanings; also depending on whether or not its being used as an adjective or a noun.

4. Zaros

Zaros Pet forums Resident Evil

Buses have terminals too.:)

FeelTheBern and Happy Paws like this.
  5. Dr Pepper

Dr Pepper PetForums VIP

Honestly flying is nothing to worry about. The planes spend more time in the air than they do on ground, it's where they're designed to be. All the odd noises you hear are perfectly normal, just the landing gear, flaps and engines thrusting back. You have two pilots so if one falls ill you have a spare and are still ok. I wouldn't worry about flying at all. It's the crashing, that's a worry.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  6. sidevalve

sidevalve PetForums Junior

Actually most of the crashing is OK too - it's just that last tiny bit that can get tricky.

Magyarmum likes this.
  7. Creativecat

Creativecat PetForums Senior

Apparently why they say put your head between ur legs in a crouching position is when it impacts you die painlessly and more efficiently

8. DT

DT PetForums VIP

I tried flying today problem is I came off worse I don't bounce like I used to. I stepped out of the caravan not looking were I was going, forgetting with ha e moved the step.seem to remember a feeble attempt at a double somersault before landing on my side really hurt my hip, quite uncomfortable at the moment.

9. Zaros

That's complete bloody nonsense, and we'll you know it!

You place your head between your legs so you can kiss your 4r53 goodbye.:Nailbiting

10. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

And this was going so well....

:Punch

11. DT

DT PetForums VIP

Takeoff and landing they say are the most dangerous times, unless of course there happens to be a terrorist on your flight.
    But my dad used to say when your number's up your numbers up

12. Zaros

And a sudden drop from, say, 32000 feet isn't a stumble then.;)

I know thousands upon thousands of people fly every single day of every single week, I've flown several times myself, but I still can't help thinking it is the most unnatural mode of transport ever invented by man.

Life jackets on a ship but no parachutes on a plane?o_O

FeelTheBern and Magyarmum like this.
  13. Creativecat

Creativecat PetForums Senior

But what if its the pilots numbers up
    Why the hell should you go with them . Or the famous words if the plane should make a waterey landing your seat can detach and become a floatations device :(
    Oh ok and if I take the right combination of drugs my sick bag can become a golf club.

14. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

I've watched so many episodes of "Air crash Investigation" that I think I know everything that could possibly go wrong with a plane, which is probably why I've decided I never want to fly again.

DT and Zaros like this.
  15. Blaise in Surrey

Blaise in Surrey PetForums VIP

It's still safer than almost everything else we do in life without even thinking about it!

cbcdesign likes this.
  16. Zaros

You watch that programme too.:)

MrsZee always asks me why I want to watch such terrible tragedies unfold. She thinks I'm a ghoul.:(

It's because I'm an engineer I tell her (which I am :Smug) and I'm intrigued by how systems can fail, what we can learn from their failures and what we can do to prevent a repeat from happening again.

MrsZee has very little understanding of anything mechanical or technical and has no idea why a radiator in a house keeps things warm but the one in a car mainly keeps things cool.
    Bless her little cotton socks.:)

Calvine, Magyarmum and FeelTheBern like this.
  17. Zaros

The single most dangerous thing anyone can do is get into a car.

But quite often many forget this fact and drive without care or consideration that it might well be their last journey, or that they might be the cause of someone else's.:(

18. steveshanks

steveshanks PetForums VIP

I'm an ex aircraft mechanic and if its a big aircraft you have no need to worry in the slightest, those things have backups for the backups, apart from the whole safety thing they don't want to lose a £35,000.000 aircraft so spend a few extra million making them extra safe :) ...Now those little things with 4 or 6 seats and bits of wire to control things, avoid those like the plague :eek:

19. DT

DT PetForums VIP

My then to be son in law chartered one of those for the stag party to fly to an island on the stag night. Before they boarded the all had to be weighted (they are all rugby players so not dainty as some of the men today) to cut a long story their combined weight was way over the weight limit and another plane had to be sent for, even then they were sailing close to the wind. personally I think I would have given that a miss

20. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

My son's godfather was a BEA pilot who flew Tridents in the 60's. He used to tell us that if a Trident hadn't lifted off from the runway by the time you'd counted to 35 then it wasn't going to!

Zaros likes this.