Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

One thing after another.

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by simpleprincess, Jul 26, 2009.

1. simpleprincess

simpleprincess PetForums Newbie

Now my kitten as well using his litter tray which is cleaned regulary of poops and pee. he keeps pooing in dark places like his cat tent, my poor chis dog bag. etc.. he got it all over himself and it went everywhere im at the end of my tether now I feel like ive got a stinky poop machine. plus im moving again in a week so ill probally have even more fun I just wonder if im cut out to be a cat owner? :( :crying: its really hard to bond with a stinky smelly poo machine. I just dont know what to think anymore.

2. ClaireLily

ClaireLily PetForums Senior

I know how frustrating it can be, my eldest at about 6 months took a dislike to her tray and started pooing on the floor right in front of her tray. On the bathroom mats, on the rugs etc.

I tied everything, more trays, different litter all to no avail.
    I have recently invested in a covered litter tray, was only £13 from pets at home and so far she has poo'd in it twice we have still had a rug incident but I at least I can see a glimmer of light.

To be honest though she could poo in my shoe and I would still never part with her, I'll do everything I can to fix the problem (loads and loads of excellent advice on this site) but if it never stops then I will be washing my rugs and mats every couple of days forever.

3. simpleprincess

I wouldnt part with him I love him too much just gets frustrating at times. he seems to be using t today and in the night , he just appears to do the odd one any dark space he can find. maybe I should get the covered up one see what happens.

4. ChinaBlue

ChinaBlue PetForums VIP

Would suggest you have a couple of litter trays - he may not leave himself enough time to get to his present tray if he is absorbed in playing. Yes, do try him with a covered tray and perhaps a different litter. Make sure it is not in an area where there is a lot of "traffic" so to speak. There is a litter called Kitten Attract which you can get online which is supposed to encourage reluctant kits to litter train. After he has eaten - give him 10-15 minutes and place him in one of the litter trays - do this a few times . He should get the general idea.

Good luck.

5. Leah100

Leah100 PetForums Senior

He's very young, he is making mistakes and having accidents, he is still too little to be able to 'hold' when he needs to go, and might well not have ever been litter trained properly, litter training can be a very hit and miss business and often takes several weeks to be really established. It's not unusual to have kittens leaving for new homes at 14 weeks still have accidents occasionally.

Go back to basics. Keep him in one easily contained and cleaned area. Put out several trays, in corners and in any areas he seems to have chosen.

Clean any soiled spots with proper pet deodoriser.

Make a point of putting him in the tray and scratching the litter with his paws every hr or so and after every meal.

Leave a little bit of wee in his tray to help him find his way back to it.

Be patient, he's still a baby, he'll get there :) He just needs some consistency and some training :)

6. simpleprincess

Im just finding it hard when he seems one big poo machine and gets it everywhere and on him , i dont have any money to go to a vet for another 2 weeks from now I feel horrible about it he wont have his shots on time.:(
    The breeder hadnt bothered to give him his 6 weeks shots. will it hurt him?
    hes got some diarhroea at the moment im trying to wean him on to the hills right now from the whiskas but both foods at once seem to upset him although he is farting alot less. should I just give him the hills? Im not sure both foods is helping him. I feel like a bad parent and wonder if I should rehome him , i feel I dont deserve him since hes got to wait 2 weeks before seeing a vet being the exception if he was very ill id call the vet out no matter what.

7. ClaireLily

ClaireLily PetForums Senior

How old is the kitten?

Having any animal you have to expect the odd accident, I found poo on the sofa the other night from the middle cat, she's only 11 weeks old and was obviously reacting to the new kitten. Of course this was then swiftly followed by the wee one weeing on the same spot. Its a brand new sofa but I don't blame the cats, they are only babies! Think about toilet training a child, even after they are well out of nappies you expect the odd accident, its no different with kittens especially when they have had any upheaval to deal with.
    Its a pity your moving again as this will not help the problem its more stress for the wee one, I suggest keeping him contained in one small room with food, water, bed, toys and a litter tray, he will soon learn they are naturally clean animals and don't like to dirty their territory.

I'm more concerned that there might be another issue, is there no way you can get him to a vet sooner than a fortnight? He may have a tummy problem, worms etc and really should be checked over. He hasn'thad his vaccinations has he been treated for worms and fleas?

8. simpleprincess

No hes not been treated for anything yet. he seems to be ok today . ive put him on royal canin for kittens as the pet shop said it was better for him so will stick to that ever since I gave up the whiskas hes had no more diarhrea he still farts horribly putting off my friends when they vist. hopefully that will go away soon. I feel horrible not being able to take him to a vet yet im hoping he will be ok for the next 12 days where I fully intend to take to a vet that day. xx.

Does anybody know a reputable vet in south wales near the brecons?

9. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

If he has had the runs, thats probably why he has been going where he shouldn't, he can not hold it. Plus they seem to know that they are unwell, and will go away from their normal toilet spot, possibly as some survival technique for not infecting their living space :confused:

Whiskas is notorious for upsetting kittens bellies. Wind is also a sign that his digestive system is not working properly. If he has the runs again you have to be careful that he does not get dehydrated, that can happen very quickly in a kitten. Bland foods like boiled chicken breast and cooked white fish or back to basics and lean raw beef mince can help settle a tum.

10. spid

spid PetForums VIP

They don't have a jab at 6 weeks. 9 weeks is the earliest they should start their jabs and only if they are healthy. Then a second one at 12 weeks.

11. simpleprincess

It probally doesnt help that his food has changed a few times and I fed him whiskas which was no good. he seems ok today no runs or anything. he seems quite lively and scoffs his dry food. ill take him to the vet asap.. im counting the days. will he be ok if his injections are late? hes not around any other cats just a small dog.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice