Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

One Pup Or Two?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Nonnie, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

In light of a few threads over the past few months, i thought it may be an idea to start a separate thread to list the pros and cons, and to perhaps offer some advice to people who have 2 pups, or are considering getting some.

Hopefully this way, no one will feel singled out, or have their threads hijacked.

2. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

oN CON IS IT MAKES TRAINING A BIT HARDER
    PRO IS THEY KEEP EACH OTHER COMPANY.

3. flufffluff39

flufffluff39 PetForums VIP

Not sure as some people think that dogs need another one for company??

4. mindymoo

mindymoo PetForums Member

Awww I woul love to have got two pups to keep each other company but jeez how much hard work would that be :blushing:

5. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

You dont get the same respect, they dont need you as much as a lone puppy.

6. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

bUT WHAT ABOUT WILD DOGS ECT DONT THEY LIVE IN PACKS I SEE YOUR POINT BUT DOGS MUST LOVE THE COMPANY OF OTHERS SOMETIMES. AND YES I KNOW THAT WE ARE MEANT TO BE THE PACK LEADER AND ALL BUT WHEN YOU SEE LITTER MATES CURLED UP TOGETHER AND EVEN THROUGH TO OLD AGE I THINK ITS NICE FOR THEM TO HAVE ANOTHER DOG AROUND. ESPECAILLT IF PEOPLE ARE OUT THE HOUSE FOR A FEW HOURS.

7. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I think the relationship between dog and owner is affected when there are two puppies of similar age. there is only about 9/10 months between my boys, but i had already formed a very strong bond with Oscar before i got Alfie.

I actually dont think i have that same bond with Alfie, although he is still of course, my boy. Its just that my relationship with him is different. Oscar is 100% MY dog, Alfie is split between me and my mother. Probably as Oz used to come to work with me when Alf was a pup.

8. Snoringbear

Snoringbear PetForums VIP

I think two pups is too much at once for most people. Especially inexperinced owners.

Dingle likes this.
  9. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I dont think wild canines live in packs for social reasons alone. they live in packs because they are far more successful than individual animals. A pack is far more likely to survive and be able to hunt successfully.

Plus dogs arent wild animals. They dont always retain certain pack behaviours. Company is a nice thing for dogs, but they need to see their owner as being the most important being in their lives, not another dog.

10. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

I can only comment on taking on two rescue dogs who had developed a very strong bond.

The downside was, their behaviour affects the other one. So if one of them is nervous and barks, then the other will join in.

The upside was, they have company when we are at work.

It can work if:

* The dogs see you as the clear pack leader and listen to you more than their litter mate
    * If your dogs are so well behaved and balanced, so you never have any behavioural problems.

Based on my expereince, I would never take on a pair again. :D

11. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

Yes you could be right but for some one with alot of dog experience they may be ok with it. I must admit my sister in laws have just got 2 springers and i did say it was going to be a full time job trying to train them and sort them out. Think they just thought ahh one each as there twins and live under the same roof. I suppose time will tell.Just hope it doesnt affect the dogs to much. they have had dog experience of a very large boxer. He had alot of issues as was from rescue but he turned out to be a fantastic dog and they took him to obediance lessons.

12. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

One puppy at a time is more than enough for me, I couldn't cope with two.:crazy:

13. Natik

Natik PetForums VIP

Pros: Company for each other while im out, they play with each other the doggie way and so tire themselves more out, double the laughs and enjoyment, walkies are more fun (i find) when we are all out together

Cons: double training (even though here not really as me and hubby share the responsibility), and more time needed to raise two due to one on ones times, a bit harder to toilet train .....

Both my dogs give me the same respect and both my dogs are the same obedient so its all down to the individuall effort put into ....

I know someone who raised 3 male littermates (GSD, not the easiest breed) and done just fine, all perfect obedient, friendly and respect their owner.

14. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

Maybe your right just . Ive never owned two together . And mine is my dog so can see i suppose that having two may upset the one to one you would have with your dog and the respect it gives you.

15. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

i would never recommend 2 puppies at the same time they are very hard work & can become extremely reliant on each other.

i kept 3 litter mates & they are extremly bonded, Indi becomes particulary upset if i take the other 2 away & leave her behind, even though she has other dogs for company,

i think its really important to take them out individually so they bond with their owners, i do this almost daily, i take them out on the bike with the springer attachment and when we go to shows i now only ever enter one of them.

16. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

I have 2 10 week old cocker puppies. i done my research before we commited to having 2 and spoke to the vet and behaviourists aswell as trainers.

I am experienced in the working dog breed as was raised around labbys and springers. I also have 4 big dogs, 2 springers, a labby and agolden retriever

I have to say that i must be lucky and no im not taking it for granted and know that anytime it could be hard.

Im lucky to have my mum, brother and sister that help.

we play with the pups together, also with the big dogs and also alone. They are booked into training classes and puppy parties.

They dont always rely on eachother. they will happily play alone or with the other dogs, sleep apart aswell. Their housetraining is coming along quicker then what it did with some of my others having them one at a time.

Its a joy to have them both and i would not change them for the world. Im always on my toes though waiting for the bad behaviour just in case.

But i know that this will not be the same with everyone but i do think that my experience in the breed has helped and the fact i was prepared.

17. emilylp

emilylp PetForums VIP

i would just think , mor emischief,more money and more training needed lol

however, they may love to be together, always have a companion if your out ect ect

and also, if you get a pup then 3 years later get another they might not get along, so if you get 2 pups then theyll grow up together :D

18. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

I think my case is slightly different as we have only had Zebs litter mate nearly 2weeks and had zeb for 6months but so far they know whos boss even then kids can tell them what to do (sit, paw, drop, leave e.t.c) without any problems

They are the same age and litter mates but i dont think they realise this, im not sure do you think dogs recognise family members after such a long time?

19. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

In my experience I've found taking on 2 litter puppies is a bad idea, mainly because training is double hard as they will always respond to each other before you. If you have an already well trained older dog this can make a huge difference as they will naturally respond to the older dog, also if you don't work then you will have more time at home to spend doing one to one training.

I know a family who took on 2 lurcher puppies, they had no experience of the 'breed' either and have had so many problems. They are at home all day but still the dogs just run riot! They both have huge prey drives and have been shot at twice already for escaping from their land into neighbouring farmers fields. The owners have been to classes, they have had private trainers in (myself included), they have even resorted to shock collars (against my advise and luckily now banned in Wales!) all with no success!! The dogs respond to each other only and together they are an accident waiting to happen. One to one we had amazing reactions and training with them, once they were back together they became a single unruly unit!! Sadly my only suggestion was to rehome one of the dogs unless they could secure their land against them escaping again. They have choosen to kennel the dogs instead so they now live a life of solitude (together but little human contact) and are only walked on lead once a day. :(

Personally even though I've owned dogs all my life and am a qualified trainer I would never take on 2 puppies at the same time.

20. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

There was 18 months between our forst one and his brother same parents 1litter apart and their bond was very special, thats why harvey became so ill when monty was p.t.s hence the year old we have now all springers.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice