Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

One of those walks...

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Nicki85, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Nicki85

Nicki85 PetForums VIP

It's a bit of an effort in the morning... first I go out with both for 15mins then drop the old girl off with her brekkie then take the young man out for 45min. We walk in a big forest... lots of space for everyone!

I'd dropped Tessie off and was out with just Rusty (thankfully) and came onto one of the main paths. Rusty was quite lively and running in big circles (typical Spaniel!) but stopped when he got on to the path. I could tell there was another dog there (he stops, looks at me, looks forward repeats!) so called him back. Two dogs followed making an awful racket... So I put Rusty on the lead and took him off the main path so the owner could walk past us with his two dogs. However, the dogs just followed barking and barking at Rusty... One kept leaping forward to nip him :mad: . I could hear the owner calling and whistling for them but they were not taking a blind bit of notice! I used the end of the leather lead to snap one of them on the nose which made it back off a bit. The dogs then ran off so I came back on to the path and started on my way... and then the dogs were back again! barking right in Rusty's face.

I then shouted to the owner to come and get his dogs as calling them was obviously not working. He came and tried to get them... I told him that if he couldn't control his dogs he should keep them on a lead- it's not fair for those of us with friendly/ non DA dogs. He muttered yes and sorry (I think). So I tried to walk off (again) but one of his dogs got lose and came back barking and barking... I tried to walk off in the hope that the one dog would go back to it's owner. NOPE! So waited for him to come and get it. Lots of come her and sit, come here and sit from the owner (no wonder it didn't want to go back!) he eventually grabbed the dog. I asked if he had him and then made a parting remark that he may want to go to some training classes with the two of them.

So walked away, let Rusty off and turned back to see him waiting for me to get out of view before he let them off again :mad5:

Rusty was excellant, recalled when I asked (although I did have to pretend to go off the path :rolleyes: ) and waited by me while the dogs barked at him. He then went behind me when they started getting closer and trying to nip. He made no attempt to growl or bark back :thumbup1: I'm glad he thinks I can protect him!

Have to say my heart was racing after this encounter... it really isn't nice. The dogs just kept coming and barking and lunging to nip. I've never experienced such bad handeling of a pair of dogs before :frown2:

Fingers crossed our afternoon walk will not be so eventful.

2. moonviolet

moonviolet PetForums VIP

It's bit early for a stiff drink but I bet you feel like a medicinal one!

Well done Rusty.

It's awful how some people just go around ruining other peoples walks through lack of control, training and courtesy. I hope you have a lovely quiet afternoon walk.

3. Nicki85

Nicki85 PetForums VIP

It's difficult... I don't expect every dog we meet out on a walk to be well behaved- I know that Rusty can be a little toad and say hello to the other dog with out my permission sometimes. But he is always polite- sniffs and then runs off (trying to get the other dog to chase him).

I just think if you have that little control over your dogs and they are DA then you should keep them on the lead in public dog walking areas.

I would hate to think what would have happened if I had Tess with me as well- she can't see or hear very well and it would have stressed her out :-( Also, what if Rusty had been DA? Best not to think about it!

4. astara

astara PetForums Senior

oh how awful for u and rusty well done you for standing up to that owner and dog hope your afternoon walk will be more pleasant for you both

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice