Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

One Kitten or Two?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Pippin, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Pippin

Pippin PetForums Member

Hi, am new to the forum so sorry if this has been covered before.

We are getting a kitten in September, we have no other animals so she will be our only pet. We now have the opportunity to have one of her sisters so we're weighing up whether to or not.

We originally wanted just the one but I now wonder if it's better for kittens to be in pairs so they have each other for company/play?

Will one on it's own be ok? I am at home all day with a 2 year old and my 4 year old starts school in September. She'll get lot's of attention from me but I guess I'm probably not quite as much fun as one of her sisters?

We are more than happy to have just the one but we want to do what's best for her. We can afford two so that side of things wouldn't be a problem. I grew up with cats and my Mum still has 4 so the children are used to them, although I know kittens are much more playful than my Mum's old bunch, bless them.

Sorry this is long, I am just so undecided so would love to hear what you all think?? Is one on her own going to be happy or will she be better off having a companion?? :)

2. tylow

tylow PetForums VIP

We had our boy on his own for about ten months but felt it was a bit unfair leaving him home alone all day whilst we were at work so we got another kitten to keep him company. Whilst i would say he didn't appear lonely he certainly appears much happier with a furry companion. I'd vote for double trouble ;)

3. FREE SPIRIT

FREE SPIRIT PetForums VIP

Ive had cats on their own or there's been times i got two. All have seemed content. But i do think it can be nice for them to have their own type of company to help keep them amused especially while we are out or asleep. It's certainly no more trouble having two rather than one. ;) :D

4. StuNo1

StuNo1 PetForums Junior

2 all the way. We were going to get 1 and ended up with 2. Never looked back. They play with eachother and it is great! Double the fun.

5. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

yeah id go for 2.
    i have 1 atm and its very heartbreakin watchin him play outside by himself. we are gettin a kitten in a week or so but i wud so turn back time and get one sooner.

go for 1 twice the mischief but twice the love :)

6. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Oh, yes! If you can go for two - twice the fun and twice the joy.

7. Pippin

Pippin PetForums Member

Thanks for the replies. I thought that's what you would all say and it's what I thought as well to be honest. :D

8. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

We were origianlly going to get one kitten, then her brother became available again so we had him too.
    I am soo glad we did! They played togther loads. And because all was new to them, they looked to eachother for comfort.

Nana has one cat. And got a kitten. The cat didn't really like the kitten and nana said she had to play with and keep teh kitten occupied alot more than we did having two.

Don't forget pictures! :)

x

9. bimbleweb

bimbleweb PetForums Member

2 without a doubt ;)

10. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Yup - 2 from me 2... they love each others' company when young and are, over all, less trouble than one bored kitten on its own. They may grow apart when they get older - some do, but others stay friendly and sleep together all their lives.

In the past, when I was breeding pedigree cats, I always tried to encourage two together - as many other breeders do, as it is lovely to have two grow up together and some breeds really need companionship; Siamese and Orientals definitely do.

11. imfloppy

imfloppy PetForums Newbie

Having gone to collect one kitten on sat and bringing home two beautifull brothers go for two. Its fab watching them play together and be partners in crime.:001_tt2:

12. Grinningcat

Grinningcat PetForums Junior

If you're home during the day and you have children, one kitten will probably be fine. It'll get plenty of attention and play without a buddy.

However, if you can afford the money and time, consider getting two anyway. There are so many homeless cats. If you can open your heart to one, awesome. Two? Even better.
    Plus, the interaction between two kitties is hilarious. We have two at my house, ages 8 and 9. They keep each other active and us laughing. And when we leave for vacation, it's good to know they have each other for company.

13. aella851

aella851 PetForums Junior

I am getting one kitten for now myself a siberian hopefully, but as they are not cheap going to have to wait awhile till I get another one but in time I will have 2.

14. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

I'd definately go for 2 as well. I got a kitten recently and he's forever trying to play with my boy of 2 years but hes very laid back & doesnt want to play and its quite heartbreaking lol I've always had 2 kittens at once and seeing the difference I wish I had gone for 2 this time too!

15. little_miss_kitty

little_miss_kitty PetForums Senior

I'd say 2 aswell.

We had Winston as an only kitten but after a month thought it would be better for him to have a playmate of his own kind so we got Lola to join him. Its lovely seeing them play together and they have each other for company whilst we are at work

16. stellab

stellab PetForums Junior

I would go for 2 :wink5: but just remember in a few months you will have to pay double to get them speyed which can be quite costly.

17. Amzy

Amzy PetForums Junior

I work for Cat Protection and we would always advise 2 kittens if they will be left for any length of time alone!

Plus 2 is soooooo much more fun (and mess and food but hey!)

18. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

i would go for two also,:D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice