Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

One Kitten or two?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Lumboo, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Lumboo

Lumboo PetForums VIP

Hi everyone,

I am new to this site, so Hello!

We are currently thinking of getting a kitten from the RSPCA. We have had our home visit this week and are now just waiting for a kitten to come along. I told the lady from the RSPCA that we only wanted one kitten. However, I am unsure now whether to get one kitten or two? We can afford to have two, and although we live in a flat, there is enough space for two sets of litter trays (if needed) and food etc. Although we are home for a lot of the time, I was just thinking when we are not home, it would be nice for them too keep each other company whilst they are young and cannot go outside.

However, I was just wondering whether it is better one get one or two? Both my husband & I grew up with a cat, but we both only had one cat, and I know ours was very happy alone as he was quite independant.

What woudl you recommend from experience? If we do get two we would like them to be from the same litter, so it has to be decided now.

Thanks

2. Ren

Ren PetForums Senior

It depends, if you are away from home a lot, I would get two. If you are home the majority of the time, then you are more likely to get lots of love and one on one affection from having just one cat. Also, some cats don't like living with others, even when they're from the same litter. My friend had two kittens from the same litter, one was a boisterous boy, the other a very shy girl. She eventually had to rehome the boy as he was determined to be an outside cat and she lived right on a busy road. When the boy was gone the shy girl Rosie came out of her shell and is now the most loving friendly cat ever. :eek:

3. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

I grew up with cats and we always had one but when my cat had kittens my mum took 2 and I wold definetly do the same from now on.
    They have so much fun together playing etc and sleep next to each other, wash each other, and my mum feel better if she has to go ot as they have company :)

#3 Starlite, Apr 1, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  4. honeysmummy

honeysmummy PetForums VIP

hi...i would get two if they are indoor cats...i recently got another kitten when honey was 7mths old...because i wanted her to have company when we were not there....if having two would be ok for you ..then go for it :)

5. samhx

samhx PetForums Member

We were in the same position as you a few weeks ago, had to decide one kitten or two.

At first we were really set on one kitten, picked the one we wanted from the breeder and everything. Then after we'd thought about when we would be out at work etc, it would be good to have two to keep each other company :)

So... we'll now be picking two kittens up :p I think it really depends on how much time you spend at home and whether one kitten would get lonely!

6. honeysmummy

sorry forgot to say...welcome to the forum...how exciting new kittens x

7. Lumboo

Lumboo PetForums VIP

I work from home two days a week and my husband can work from home when he chooses. However, in September when my son is at school I may be working in the office more, so I was thinking ahead about what the cat might need. Weekends are usually spent at home, and if we do go out it is only for a few hours at a time.

We haven't had a pet for years and it is a balance between doing the right thing for the cat and our responsibility as pet owners. Also, when are on holiday (which in fairness is not that often) it is easier to tell neighbours to look after one cat than two, especially as if we tell them to take the cats into their house.

I might call the RSPCA woman and ask for her advice. Also, I guess it depends on the nature of the litter we get our cat from. When she calls and tells me she has a kitten for us, I will ask her then, as she will have a better idea.

Is having two young cats a LOT more work?

8. Lumboo

Lumboo PetForums VIP

Can I just add, I hope you don't think that by asking I am scatty and indecisive. It is because we always treat animals as members of the family, (inc our fish) and therefore I don't want to just go "Ooh fluffy kitten" and then not be able to handle it. I am sure you know where I am coming from :001_smile: - I am sure the RSPCA would prefer me to ask beforehand than go back in 6 months with an abandoned cat!

9. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Hi Lumboo, 1st up - WELCOME to the forum. Lovely to have you here.

I have popped a link here to a previous thread that was started a few weeks back by Samhx. There's probably quite a few bits you already know but there was a lot of discussion on the merits of two over one kitten that might be useful to you. http://www.petforums.co.uk/cat-chat/151860-new-advice-please.html

Just one thing you DO need to know...... We're a very demanding lot around here and our biggest demand is..... PICTURES!!! Lots & lots of pictures of your baby (ies?) when you become a slave. :D :D :D :D

10. Lumboo

Lumboo PetForums VIP

Oh don't worry - when I get my cat/cats, I will be posting LOTS of photos :001_smile:

The more I am thinking and reading the posts (inc the link to a previous thread that was added) the more I think getting two will be better. The majority of negatives appear to be the cost and also whether one cat is shy and therefore repressed by the other one, but as long as I suss that out (with the help of the RSPCA who will understand kitten nature from the litter better than me) then that problem should be overcome I hope.

At least everything in the flat is childproofed already, so I know the flat is safe when the kitten(s) is alone. It is amazing how many nooks you find that need a board to stop a small cat from gettiing stuck though.

I am so excited about getting that call from them to say they have a kitten for us. They keep telling me it is kitten season so I am getting very impatient!

11. Colette

Colette PetForums VIP

My experience with cats is very limited - my boys are my first cats - but I'm going to go out on a limb and say I personally think that getting two kittens would be easier.

We see a fair few threads on here where people get a second cat at a later date and all hell breaks loose, the cats just won't get on, and in some cases one ends up being sent back. Introducing cats isn't always easy - raising two littermates saves that hassle.

Keeping a kitten entertained is hard work! My boys were on the go all the time it seemed, always playing. But having the pair of them they often played with eachother. I really noticed it with all the threads from people with kittens who would continually play bite, scratch, launch themselves at people etc. My boys did all their scratching, biting, wrestling etc amongst themselves - so we got left with the nice play with toys and the cuddles.

Seeing them together, I can't imagine having only one. They're a year old now and still play together every day, games that people just can't really play properly - like chasing eachother round the house.

I'm in a fairly small one bed flat myself, but haven't found space to be an issue at all. They have separate food bowls but share a water bowl and litter tray (although I have the space to add extras if I ever need to).

12. Abster21

Abster21 PetForums Junior

Cats Protection recommended that we get two kittens if we possibly could, because we both work full time and apart from anything else it would save the furniture a bit! I'm so glad they did recommend this to us, as we ended up getting a brother and sister who are now best of friends. When we visited them still with mum they didn't take that much notice of each other, but they've become vey close (always try to find each other if they're in separate rooms!)

If you end up putting them in a cattery, they can share a pen so it won't cost too much more, plus they will have each other to keep a sense of normality. Same goes for vet visits etc.

If we hadn't got two, we never would have witnessed the slow-motion chase around the bars of our wine rack, something that will stay with me forever!

Having two also means you get a cuddle each when they stop running for 5 minutes :)

13. Lumboo

Lumboo PetForums VIP

A friend just told me that cats don't normally like each other even if from the same litter unless they are Siamese or Bengal?!! Well, we are getting normal cats from the RSPCA not pedigree cats. Do you think two will still be OK with other? (I know all cats are different but I mean in general)

I know cats are independant but I know lots of people who have two ordinary cats and they seem to get on. Oh crikey, I am unsure of what to do for the best - I hate conflicting opinions when you just want to do the right thing.

14. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

When you speak to your RSPCA lady to discuss having two kitties, mention looking at two from the litter who seem close, or regularly play together - this may help you get two who are chums.

It is hard to tell which cats are sociable & which are not. My old boy Sluggie was an absolute darling who loved other cats but was wary of shumans, Oscar is an unsociable little sod to other cats but lurves all shumans. Cats have their own personalities - just like us shumans - and there are no guarantees on how they will turn out. :)

15. honeysmummy

i wouldnt say what your friend is saying is true...of course not all cats get along...but the worst case scenario they will just live side by side and tolerate each other or they will enjoy each others company

i am just sitting here watching my two now...5 mins ago they were fighting now they are sat down opposite each other using their paws to push a ball to each other around a plastic circle track of their new toy :D

Honey and Indy are 5mths apart in age and the introductions were not easy but worth it...at least with litter siblings you dont have that to worry about

i wish i had pushed honeys original owner to give me Honeys sister as well...but having not had a cat before was worried about it and she was reluctant, so we just took Honey.

OMG...the best thing i ever did was getting my gorgeous Honey and with her being an indoor cat..we wanted her to have company when we were out...so had an amazing 5 mths with her and now we have Indy who is 12 wks

Its worth it..if i had known how amazing cats were..i would have had them years ago xx

16. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

And you will loading up the pics in the next few minutes....yes????

:D :D :D :D

To concur with Honeysmummy - if you do get the two kitties at the same time you will eliminate the 'introduction' period which can be a bit fraught. 2 kitts arriving over the threshold at the same time will not be able to claim 'territorial rights' over the other.

I personally believe the risk of getting two, wholly incompatable, cats are low and the chances of getting two happy playful with each other kitties are high.:)

17. honeysmummy

You read my mind...have just been running around to find digital camera and charge it because i have been using my phone alot lately for photos and i cannot find it:(:(

they did look adorable...will be on a mission tonight to find camera and will get some promise :D xx

18. Jansheff

Jansheff PetForums VIP

I have two (Burmese) brothers and can't imagine only having one now. Mine are now 6 years old, but still roll around, chase and play fight like puppies. They are very close and also snuggle up together, but always have plenty of cuddles for us too. They're both curled up on my knee together as I'm trying to write this.

It's not loads more work getting two, in fact, I think that if we'd only had one it would have trashed the house long before now, instead of using up all that energy chasing around together. They're indoor only cats and I certainly don't have to worry about them not getting enough exercise. On the contrary, sometimes I could do with taking their batteries out for just half an hour!! It's not all go though, as with all cats they do spend a lot of time "conserving energy."

As far as cats not liking each other goes, our third cat, Raffles, is an RSPCA moggy and although his relationship with them isn't quite so close as theirs is with each other, he's not averse to cuddling up with them in a great kitty heap, or joining in their chases when he's feeling frisky. He sulked for about a week when we first got them, then decided they were the greatest fun he'd had in his life so far! We had to buy a new huge cat basket, as they all wanted to curl up together at night and he was the one who would be hanging over the edge of the old one.

They make life fun!

19. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

2 ... 2 ... 2! :)

20. NoSpecialFeaturesHere

NoSpecialFeaturesHere PetForums Senior

Hello. :)

I used to work at an RSPCA shelter and we would always recommend people take two kittens, especially if they didn't already have a cat at home.

In fact, if memory serves, we would rehome littermates in pairs the majority of the time. If a young kitten's littermates were all rehomed and it was left alone, the potential adopter would usually have to take the mother too. lol. The only time we rehomed single kittens, except for in special circumstances, was when the kitten came into the shelter on its own in the first place.

In my experience it's not any harder to have two kittens/cats than one. In some ways it's actually easier. They learn from each other, entertain each other when you're gone, and there's always one available to cuddle if the other's not in the mood. Sure there's double the food/litter to buy, but there's double the love and the fun in return.

Good luck finding your new family member/s. I wish you many years of happiness together.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice