Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

One issue - plants

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Nellybelly, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

We're doing great with my 4 month old puppy. Toilet trained, learnt not to chew shoes or furniture, very good walking on and off lead, knows "sit", "stay", "down", "spin", "come", "fetch" BUT she is obsessed with eating (not chewing, actually eating) dry leaves (also fresh leaves but especially dry leaves). When we are walking she is fine but the minute we stop she will pick up leaves etc. Also in our garden (which is very small) we have a few plants. She is mostly interested, rather OBSESSED should I say with the lavender plants. Gets her head in as near to the roots as possible and eats the driest bits of the plant. I want to let her lie near the plant or even on the plant as it is nice and cool, and she is indoors all day (apart from regular toilet breaks) with the aircondition on as it very very hot here in the summer, so in the afternoons I want to let her outside to enjoy the breeze but I can't do this as all she cares to do is eat the plants. If we are outside playing with toys she can be distracted, but the point is for her to rest/sleep etc outside.

i just want to mention i have checked that the plants we have in our garden are not poisonous, but I do worry she might chew something at a friends house or on a walk that is.

Is it possible she has a nutritional deficit and this is why she eats plants?
    She does really like veg and fruit (carrots, apples, pears etc) but I don't know if this is because her body is lacking nutrients or because she just fancies them. We have been to the vet very regularly for all her vaccines, worming etc, weepy eye and also a small abdominal henria which we are monitoring and he finds that she is in very good health, but we havn't run any bloodwork on her as this is usually only for older dogs or before procedures.

If we assume that this is a behavioural problem, how would I go about correcting it? Saying NO and providing a suitable chew instead doesn;t work as efefctively as with indoor objects I ask her to leave as she goes straight back to the plant (basically next to the plants her own chews are not appealing). I could not let her outside unless we are playing, but the idea is to get her trained so that when she is grown up she will be able to left outside to enjoy some fresh air other than when we are walking.

Any ideas/ advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. bird

bird PetForums VIP

Fraid I cant be of much help, I'm full of sympathy though, I lost my herb patch when we got Arnie and know other people who have said the same thing. He made a beeline for rosemary and sage especially. Still has a thing for some plants, actually the raspberry plant. :rolleyes:

3. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

Forgive me. It's late. I am slightly drunk.

But if your puppy likes leaves...what is the problem?

If your puppy liked your daughter's arm, or perhaps your toddler's soiled nappy, I could see a real problem occuring.

But honey; leaves are free. And unless you live next to any 'Venus Dog Traps', I really do not see much of a problem with the plant fascination.

In evolution terms, dogs made it to dogs well before humans made it to humans. Perhaps our dogs should be more worried about our future than we are theirs?

Basically, if your dog eats a leaf and does not show signs of ill health after the first ingestion, she will probably be OK eating more of those leaves.

Like I said though, it's late and I am slightly pissed. I might change my mind tomorrow.

:001_tt2:

4. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

It's not just leaves, she'll go for the roots of the plant and eat all that stuff too. I know it won't kill her (at least what we have in our garden) but I do not want this to become established behaviour. ANy help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice