Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

one good cat one bad cat!

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by anniecarter, Jan 25, 2008.

1. anniecarter

anniecarter PetForums Newbie

i have two male kittens of 6 months. one is a pro at using the litter tray, he never misses or soils in the house. the other one poos on towels or curtains on a twice weekly basis. they have been to the vets and neither of themhave anything worng with them physically. i have noticed that he only goes on clean items whichhave just been washed. i keep the tray clean and dont change the litter brand! the tray is close to the back door so they can get to it easily.i am not sure A) what else i can try and B) how i should deal with his behavior when he does it.

HELP!:(

thanks Annie (Reuben and Henry)

2. anniecarter

also he uses the tray most of the time! and he will soil the curtain when i am sitting in the room!

heeeeeelp! x

3. Siamese Kelly

Siamese Kelly PetForums VIP

As we females are all to aware some boys(i've found with our lot) are just plane lazy and mardy, or it could be your other lad stressing him for whatever reason. Maybe try 2 litter trays and see how they get on,at this age they are becoming young males as opposed to kittens(even though they are,to us at least) so it could be a dominance issue-the one using the tray all the time being the dominant. Are they neutered? Good luck Annie and do let us know what you try and how you and they get on:) I say this because it's not always a lazy issue-honestly:rolleyes::)If your cat is blatantly dumping/weeing in front of you it's a fair betting he's unhappy about something and this is the plan of action he can come up with to tell you:)Or if neither are neutered it could be that he's spraying because his body is sexually frustrated but being a kitt his head just thinks he needs to go.

4. Angelicats

Angelicats PetForums Junior

Hi,
    It could be the smell of the just washed items, perhaps try useing a different detergent. ( my dog goes silly when she smells fabric conditioner.)

5. jobrian

jobrian PetForums Junior

Hello

I have a small kitten and have experienced ziggys naughty ways!
    I found everytime he eats, I pick him up and put him in the litter tray... try giving this a go :)

6. may

may PetForums VIP

You can buy a spray called Cat attract from good pet shops like Pets at Home:)
    You spray were you want the cat to do his toilet duties and they are attracted to the smell :)
    You might have to use two litter trays as males do like there own tray.
    Some litter have this in it and is so much easier to train lazy kittens;)
    Good luck!

7. anniecarter

i have now tried to get another litter tray. it has been since friday and i have only had one accident shall we say! this time it was in the bath...a new place so i'm not sure if he did it on purpose or if he was stuck in the bath!lol!

i would like anyones imput into how i should deal with him when he does it as i am not sure wether to tell him off or ignore him of what. he knows he has done wrong because when i pick him up after to put him in the tray he hangs like a dead weight in my hands! lol!

its funny in retrospect but not at the time and not on my cream carpet and curtain! lol!

thanks annie and company

xxx

8. may

may PetForums VIP

To stop him doing his toilet "Do Dar's'' in the bath:eek: leave a little water in the bottom of the bath ;) he will soon jump back out of the bath :D:D:D

9. Siamese Kelly

Siamese Kelly PetForums VIP

When you clean out his tray try and leave a tiny bit of "wet" litter in as boys especially(or at least Siamese) don't like it at all when we invade their toilet and clean all of their smell completely:) If this isn't the case and he still insists on going in the bath-it could be that he feels his tray isn't deep enough,or try getting a water plant squirty bottle feeder-clean one-and squirt him with a little water everytime he doesn't use his tray-but do this immediately as he does a "whoopsie" i know this is a tried and harmless but effective teqnique-You could even rename this little teqnique-The AnnieCarter's cream carpet cleaner:D I know -i'm a born genius:p:DKeep us updated Annie-you'll get their i promise-it's not him being Dirty-it's us silly humans-we sometimes just take a while to hear what they're saying:DGood luck:)

10. anniecarter

thanks for your help guys, the training is on hlod for now as they are having some 'gastric issues'! they are on a bit of a detox so its hard to tell if they have an accident if its just because of their upset tummies. i will be back to work on it soon though!

i have tried the water spray idea when ihave caught him doing it tho, he deffinately doesnt like it so hopefully it will deter him!

Annie and Co
    xxx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice