Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

One For the IT Bods Here Please

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by MoggyBaby, Sep 27, 2013.

1. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Lad in the office has got a new laptop - windows 7.

He would like to password lock it to keep his wee brother off it but is not sure how to go about it.

He knows how to 'change' a password - would you use this 'bit' to set a new password and just ignore where it asks for the old password.

Or does he need to go somewhere else to do it for the first time?

Many thank you's in advance. :)

2. DoodlesRule

DoodlesRule PetForums VIP

Think when ours were done at work you just hit return on the old password question if didn't have one before.

Disclaimer - if this is wrong and renders his computer unusable for ever more I am very sorry :D

3. jltaylor

jltaylor PetForums Senior

Hi needs to go to Control Panel, User Accounts and he can set it up there.
    He can make himself administrator for the laptop as standard user accounts don't have the same access rights.

Waterlily likes this.
  4. Hanwombat

Hanwombat I ♥ dogs with eyebrows !!

What they said :)

5. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

He says thank but, no offence intended, but he'll pass on this suggestion. :D

He says thank you very much and he will look at this when he gets home. :)

6. jltaylor

jltaylor PetForums Senior

He could also set his bother up an account if he wants him to let him use the laptop. His bother wont see all the same stuff as him, would be like logging onto a completely different computer.
    If there is stuff he doesn't want anyone to see he can use the hidden file/folder option. You can turn on and off show hidden files and folders by going to Folder options which can also be found in Control Panel. Be careful turning on hidden folders and files as its designed to stop you accessing important system data files which could screw your computer up if you deleted them by mistake.

#6 jltaylor, Sep 27, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  7. DoodlesRule

DoodlesRule PetForums VIP

Tell him he is very ungrateful and my only suggestion is to threaten to thrash his brother if he so much as looks at his computer :biggrin5:

8. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

He liked that one!!!!! :D

9. foxiesummer

foxiesummer PetForums VIP

10. Colliebarmy

Colliebarmy PetForums VIP

chop brothers fingers off

should work:cornut:

11. Jesthar

Jesthar PetForums VIP

I can strongly recommend this approach!

Earlier this year I took a workfriends hubbies laptop home to look at as it as although it was only a year or so old, it was running 'quite slow'.

You're telling me - my seven year old laptop was faster to boot! Six hours and nearly 2,000 (yes, two THOUSAND! :eek: ) malware infection removals later, some of which took six attempts, and it was back in the land of the modern Win7 machine.

And all because the kids had access via the admin account and loved silly internet games, toolbars and sparkly cursors... :mad2:

...which meant one of the best bits of news I've had this year to date was when colleague told me hubby had now password protected his account and was refusing to let the kids use any more - result! :D

12. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

I think the intention was to lock the pc completely to prevent little bro using it at all. :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice