Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

One for the colour experts :)

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by wicket, Aug 30, 2013.

1. wicket

wicket PetForums VIP

My understanding of colour genetics is very limited, although I am trying to learn - what possible colours would you get from mating a chocolate and white bi-colour girl (her parents were a chocolate and and a chocolate silver tabby point and white) if she was mated with a a red silver tabby and white ( his parents were a black smoke and a tortie and white ) I wouldnt know where to start :)

2. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Okay - lets assume no recessives first

so you have a choc and white mated to a red

you will have black tortie girls and black boys.

IF the stud carries choc

black tortie, choc tortie girls and black or choc boys.

IF both your girl and the stud carry dilute (but NOT choc for the stud)

black tortie, blue tortie girls and black or blue boys.

IF they both barry dilute AND the stud carries choc

then black tortie, blue tortie, choc tortie, lilac tortie girls and black, blue, choc and lilac boys.

50% will be with white, 50 % smoke/ silver, 50% tabby, points only if stud carries too

3. wicket

wicket PetForums VIP

Thank you very much Spid, stud carries chocolate and neither carries dilute - I can now try and work back how all the permutations come about with a large piece of paper and pen.

I think I must be cranially challenged as not matter how hard I try I cant get my head around some things.

Thanks again :)

4. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

The red silver tabby & white cannot have two non-agouti (i.e. non tabby) parents. A black smoke is non-tabby, so unless the mother is actually a tortie tabby & white, the red silver "tabby" boy has to be a self (with white, obviously) but showing heavy ghost markings as most genetically non-tabby red series cats do.

5. spid

spid PetForums VIP

I missed that - good spot.

6. wicket

wicket PetForums VIP

my mistake, just checked and mum was a tortie tabby and white, thanks gskinner :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice