Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

One fish died, shall I get another?

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by LeanneM, Oct 6, 2019.

1. LeanneM

LeanneM PetForums Newbie

Hello,

I’m new to fish keeping and have 2 goldfish that I got 2 months ago. I spent so much money on them and tried my best to give them the best things- treats, aquarium tools, constant research etc but very sadly one of them died today. I’m so upset but more for the fact that I keep thinking “is the one that’s left lonely?” Is he missing his mate? Or do goldfish not really take note of things like that?? I just want to know if I should/can get another fish. I don’t want him to be lonely but wouldn’t want to stress him out getting another fish and potentially it getting bullied.

(Side note, I think over feeding killed the other fish, I’m doing everything I can to make sure my other fish and any potential new ones are healthy and safe)

2. bunnygeek

bunnygeek PetForums VIP

Sorry you lost a goldie. What’s the tank size and set up? Goldies can be bullies in smaller set ups.

3. NaomiM

NaomiM Love my furry, feathered and finned family

Sorry about your fish.

In addition to @bunnygeek 's questions, have you done a water test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? If so, what were the results?

The most common reasons why fish die in new setups are ammonia and nitrite toxicity. (Over-feeding, as you mentioned, can contribute to this.) You shouldn't think about adding any new fish until you are certain ammonia and nitrite are stable at 0.

kittih and bunnygeek like this.
  4. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Also did you do a fishless cycle of the filter before adding fish?
    As Naomi says most deaths are due to
    poor water quality. What were/are your water parameter readings ?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice