Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

One extreme to another

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by lainey29, Apr 7, 2011.

1. lainey29

lainey29 PetForums Newbie

My 12 year old cat had a UTI 2 weeks ago. He was having trouble urinating, constantly licking himself and not very happy at all. He was given antibiotics and a catheter put in for 2 days. When we got him home he had to take metacam and hypovase for 1 week then go back for a check up last week. The UTI still hadn't cleared so he was given more hypovase and cystaid. However now he seems to have trouble controlling his bladder. He dribbles after using his litter tray and when he's sleeping he's urinating without even knowing it. I've called the vet and was told it was possibly the Hypovase as it was a muscle relaxant and could be relaxing him too much. I stopped giving him it yesterday but he's still doing it. We've got another appointment tomorrow but I wondered if anyone else had this problem.

Also I was told he has hyperthyroidism (over active thyroid) but they don't want to treat that until the UTI has gone.

2. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

It's not clear if you're asking about the effects of the Hypovase or the fact the UTI is still lingering. I should imagine once the muscle relaxant leaves his system completely his bladder control will return to normal.

I assume they ran a urine tes since he was admitted as this could give clues as to the cause of the UTI? The presence and type of crystals in the urine for instance would inform the correct type of diet. Is he on a urinary diet at present? It's also important that he drinks more to keep his bladder flushed out so I would invest in a water fountain!

It's very important to control Hyperthyroidism ( the increased metabolic rate can damage other organs inc the heart and kidneys ) and I'm not sure why the vets want to postpone treating this-I would mention this to them. Do you know what the T4 result was as it's also possible the untreated hyperT is also impacting on his current symptoms.

Also since hyperT cats can also have high blood pressure I would ask them to check this tomorrow.

3. lainey29

lainey29 PetForums Newbie

I'm really just wondering if this is a common thing for cats with UTIs. Does it take a while for the hypovase to leave the system and have other people experienced this when their cats have been taking hypovase.

They ran various tests, blood and urine, there were no crystals in the urine and blood tests showed nothing either. The vet is unsure as to what caused the UTI. I was told to change his diet from dry food to wet which he seems happy with.

I'm a bit concerned myself as to the delay in treating the hyperT. The vet said they would rather settle his bladder first. The vet also told me the thyroid was bigger than they would usually expect with hyperT and that there may be a tumour behind it. I was told a T4 had been done and that the enzymes were high but nothing else.

I will definitely ask about the high blood pressure tomorrow.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice