Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

one bunny or two??

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by PoisonGirl, Apr 26, 2011.

1. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I just been told I should have two bunnies together.

Is that right?

My bunny thats coming at the end of the week is 4month old male.

If I was to add another bunny.... what do I get and how do I do it?

2. Lil Miss

Lil Miss PetForums VIP

idealy yes, rabbits are highly social animals and crave company of their own kind

your best bet would be to get him neutered and then find him a rescue spayed wife bun

3. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

Same as above really :eek:

4. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

Yes, have him neutered and then look for a doe and have her spayed. It's important she is neutered too as female rabbits are very prone to utering cancers. Rescues, are great at helping you to pair up and find the right companion :)

Good luck!

5. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

thank you :D

how do you intro them? do they need to be kept seperate at first or anything?

6. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

A lot of decent experienced rescues will help you bond them. Id let him settle in first and give him 6 weeks after his little op for his hormones to settle. What accomodation do you have? You'll need to bond them in a small neutral area first and then gradually give them more space, i'd set aside a weekend to let them establish a peking order and get used to each other. :)

7. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Thanks. Ive not got him yet but his hutch is about 4x2ft and then i have a 4x4ft run that can either be seperate or attached to the hutch.

I will be getting a bigger hutch before I get a 2nd, probly a 2 level one.

He is 5 months... how old when he can have his wee op?

[​IMG]

8. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

I would wait a month to get him neutered and then a bigger hutch. Bonding should be fairly easy unless he's as fussy as Leo I think we've tried 8 females now :rolleyes:

9. Lil Miss

Lil Miss PetForums VIP

bucks can be neutered as soon as their bits drop, generally around 3 months +, aslong as they are over 1kg in weight, 1kg is considered the safe weight

4ft is a really small hutch though, the smallest i use (for quarantine purpose) is 5 x 2, and even they are not the best size, but more conviniant as they are out of use for most of the year and i have no where to store bigger.

if you have to use the 4 x 2 i would definitely attach the run to it permanently, and it will do as temporary accommodation, but it really is very small

if you get a double hutch the smallest you should go for is 5 x 2, a single the smallest you should go for is 6 x 2

10. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

Oh he's gorgeous!!!!

4x2 is too small for even one bunny, I agree with what lil miss has said, although personally I'd get a 6x2 hutch with an attached permentant run as decent size accomodation for two medium buns. Then a seperate big run if you have the room so they can have a good run round on the grass perhaps in the day? :)

11. BeagleOesx

BeagleOesx PetForums VIP

Aww he looks lovely, what is he called? He looks just like my daughter's bunny 'Alice' although she's 2 now.

Attached Files:

12. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

My son wants to call him Cookie :)

I'll have to flatten some area of garden if I wnt to attach the run permanently to let him have space.. and thats only if the hutch is a low one or I'l have to do some DIY!

I'll defo be getting a bigger hutch for him :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice